PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] big problem, and i don't know where to start....

EricMattessich
October 16th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I took a pic of what happens when i try to boot up. Its 9.1 64 bit beta on a ECS a780gm-a with an amd phenom and 4gb of ram. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on with this? Thanks in advance

http://atxmotorsports.com/DSC01242.JPG

Bucky Ball
October 16th, 2009, 04:48 AM
For a start, 9.10 is not released yet and is still 'testing' and your post should be in the Karmic 'testing' forum. If you are looking at getting into Ubuntu 9.10 is not the best place to start (unless you are looking at diving head first into the learning curve and spending a lot of time in a terminal).

I would install 8.04 LTS, pretty much rock solid. Once you get the swing of things you can change to the 'bleeding edge' release. Karmic is about breaking and fixing right now and not due out til the end of this month. I personally wait for six months at least after the release date but I need my machines to be ultra-stable. :)

ps: your graphic is MASSIVE! You might try attaching the pic instead or perhaps shrinking the file before posting. Good luck with it all and welcome.

pps: if you login is everything working okay? If so and if you haven't already, plug in an ethernet cable (essential even to get wireless up usually), get in there and get all updates (they will be offered automatically if you are online), reboot.

EricMattessich
October 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
your probably right on that one... 9.04 worked fine for me on my other computer so I will give that a try and work my way backwards

Bucky Ball
October 16th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Not sure if you caught my pps in the last post. Have a read. You might be able to fix things by updates. They are probably daily or more, thick and fast for Karmic right now I'd imagine. :)

EricMattessich
October 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
yeah it wasn't having it, update and upgrade both yeilded "could not fetch" so I'll go back to 9.04 and see if that works, and i'll let you know what happens. Thanks for those quick responses