PDA

View Full Version : Jobs For 14 Year Old Linux Guru

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I am saving up to make an open source robot architecture project( very beta website http://cray-4.users.sourceforge.net/ )
however i am short by about $100(if not more), how could i make the money, also i am in school so i cannot devote too much time, however i enjoy fixing computers and fixing software problems and installing Linux, i am also a pretty avid coder so i can do very much but i dont know where to begin

Thanks in Advance.

SomeGuyDude
October 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
You could mow lawns.

AllRadioisDead
October 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM
You could wash cars.

Kingsley
October 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I heard fast food is hiring.

pwnst*r
October 16th, 2009, 02:01 AM
do they still deliver newspapers door to door? could try that.

SomeGuyDude
October 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
My cousin walked dogs one summer, made some decent money.

Vostrocity
October 16th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I heard fast food is hiring.
Don't forget you'll need a Workers' Permit.

For some more relevant suggetions.
-You could get 1000 subs on YouTube and become a Partner.
-You could make some pennies from AdSense if you already have a website.
-You could ask your parents to setup a PayPal tip jar if there is enough public interest in your project.
-You could make some really good templates for whatever blog service and sell them.

Sorry those probably won't get you to $100 anytime soon, but they're better than a bland kid job right?

Viva
October 16th, 2009, 02:04 AM
You could do some freelance programming work. There are a lot of programming jobs on the internet, you just have to look in the right places.

dragos240
October 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Or just tech support. Some people are computer illiterate.

shadylookin
October 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
fix people's computers however that's mostly windows work.

Most places have laws against letting kids under 16 work at any "real job"

You could try normal stuff like rake leaves, shovel snow, convince parents/grandparents you're doing this for your education and have them pony up some dough, babysit, or beat up smaller children for their lunch money:P

steveneddy
October 16th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Or just tech support. Some people are computer illiterate.

Are you talking about me? HEY!

Machnikowski
October 16th, 2009, 02:20 AM
fix people's computers however that's mostly windows work.

Eh?

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
No question the best way is to flip a computer.

Find a tower on ebay with a problem, pay no more than $30. P4 era. Buy a used monitor locally for $20, add a kb/mouse, speakers. Flip it on craiglist or via a news board for $150.

Make your ad something like:

Windows XP Computer. Everything included. Has web browsing and word processing! Plays your movies and dvds!!!! Burn CDS! Run iTunes!!! All for $150!!!

The ignorant will easily pay you $150 for an all-in-one computer purchase. If you can find an old inkjet for cheap, grab it up and throw it in. I know a high school friend who made $3,000 one summer doing this. Just make sure the computer works 100% when you give it to them, printer, internet, ect. Offer to set it up in their home.

SomeGuyDude
October 16th, 2009, 02:23 AM
...that's a deviously brilliant idea.

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 02:26 AM
i agree, muahahahaha

shadylookin
October 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Eh?

well most people that need their computer fixed are using Microsoft Windows and it's not exactly linux guru work. sorry about the ambiguity, but it's MS's fault for naming their OS a commonly used word.

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM
i agree, muahahahaha

Try churches. Attend the biggest one in town and see if they have a bulletin board. Alot of elderly people there who might not know too much, or teenagers who want their own computer, but don't know anything about them.

keiichidono
October 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM
That's morally wrong? At least put Ubuntu on the computers.....

Vostrocity
October 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Most places have laws against letting kids under 16 work at any "real job"
Most states let 14 and 15s work if they have a permit.

No question the best way is to flip a computer.

Find a tower on ebay with a problem, pay no more than $30. P4 era. Buy a used monitor locally for $20, add a kb/mouse, speakers. Flip it on craiglist or via a news board for $150.

Make your ad something like:

Windows XP Computer. Everything included. Has web browsing and word processing! Plays your movies and dvds!!!! Burn CDS! Run iTunes!!! All for $150!!!

The ignorant will easily pay you $150 for an all-in-one computer purchase. If you can find an old inkjet for cheap, grab it up and throw it in. I know a high school friend who made $3,000 one summer doing this. Just make sure the computer works 100% when you give it to them, printer, internet, ect. Offer to set it up in their home.
That seems like a lot of work for not a lot of profit.

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
That's morally wrong? At least put Ubuntu on the computers.....

Selling things is morally wrong?!?!?!?!?!

OMG!!!

Heh, you're being ridiculous. Its not wrong at all. If they wanted to buy a computer elsewhere, they'd pay more, because they don't have the skills and abilities to do what you did. They are paying for your services, knowledge, and time.

If they went to walmart they'd spend $400 and get a machine that is basically the same as far as they're concerned, plus they don't get setup (a task some people cannot do).

zmjjmz
October 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
You could get a bunch of friends together and start a tech support company.
Refurbishing computers and selling them on craigslist sounds like a good idea too.

lisati
October 16th, 2009, 02:51 AM
<old man reminiscing voice>
When I was fourteen I got myself a holiday job helping out in the office at my mum's work. It didn't pay much but it was better than nothing, and thirty-something years later I still have some music I bought.
<end voice>

ermeyers
October 16th, 2009, 02:56 AM
<old man reminiscing voice>
When I was 13, in Willow Grove, PA, I worked at a dying amusement park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Grove_Park, at that time named Six Gun Territory. I controlled the rides like the Octopus illegally, and I tried my best to make people puke. I'm a little better person, now.
<end voice>

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 03:09 AM
ok, i think were getting somewhere, so far buying and selling old computers for more sounds the most promising, keep on going

ermeyers
October 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Find all of the old ladies in your town, say hello "My name is Earl", what do you need done today. They'll love you to death, and in no time, you'll have some money. Simple!

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Find all of the old ladies in your town, say hello "My name is Earl", what do you need done today. They'll love you to death, and in no time, you'll have some money. Simple!

if i said that they'll think im trying to sell them something, or i want money:confused:

PurposeOfReason
October 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Craigslist.
Mow lawns.
Detail cars.
Babysit.

ermeyers
October 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
if i said that they'll think im trying to sell them something, or i want money:confused:

They've been in this world a long time, so they know what you need, if you meet their needs.:)

PS: And the exercise will do you good.

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM
well, ill try that out when i get the chance

ermeyers
October 16th, 2009, 03:45 AM
You're going to find out that most people aren't anywhere near as intelligent as you are. Compared to you, they're living in caves, still. They won't understand you, nor what you know how to do. Look around their house, and you'll see that they can't figure out how to get the clock on their appliances to stop blinking. Program the universal remote for them, etc. Give them technological peace.

Keep it simple, because they're mostly stupid.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Online marketing is an option too but it's tricky O.O

Overall I agree with Viva and people who say you could use your technical skill! There is a lot of money in freelance programming, and fair little bit in computer repair and a little bit in reselling and stuff as well :)

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Keep in mind when buying the PCs you intend to sell that price is more important than specs.

If you can nab a lot of 10 pentium III towers for $100, or 4 P4s for $100, you had better take the P3s, because it won't really matter to the target audience. You'll make more selling P3s for $100 than P4s for $150 even though #2 is a better value.

amitabhishek
October 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Make a balloon in which 8yrs old can fly ;).

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Website development. That's how I've got my millions.

ukripper
October 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
You can help people who are depressed, they may give you good lump sum or part of their inheritence in the end if they find you useful.

ukripper
October 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Website development. That's how I've got my millions.

Web development and millions??hmm unless you had sold youtube to Google.

t0p
October 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
You call yourself as a "Linux guru": but how are you with Windows? Get a week-end job at the local independent computer shop. Troubleshooting, installing Vista, etc.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Web system development -> Business -> Millions.
or
Web system development -> Mass market at monthly rate -> Millions

Oh, and I don't really MEAN millions. Not yet. Getting there though.

tuahaa
October 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Oh, and I don't really MEAN millions. Not yet. Getting there though.
Only $999,999 to go =P

Back on topic, if I were you (I'm 14 too)I would concentrate on studies. However, if you need/want the money, you should do neighborhood jobs. Setting up your own business with computers is also a good idea, as others suggested. When you have enough money, buy prize bonds with them- it's basically another way of storing money. For example, I spend 30 bucks in prize bonds. Every year, I get a small amount of profit the company makes and I get tickets for a weekly prize. Also, I can withdraw the money anytime I want- yep, my full $30+annual profit.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
No. I don't use the weak american currency. And it's a lot lot lot closer than that.

CRAY-4
October 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM
i am also very good with windows, there was a time when i liked windows

blur xc
October 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Selling things is morally wrong?!?!?!?!?!

OMG!!!

Heh, you're being ridiculous. Its not wrong at all. If they wanted to buy a computer elsewhere, they'd pay more, because they don't have the skills and abilities to do what you did. They are paying for your services, knowledge, and time.

If they went to walmart they'd spend $400 and get a machine that is basically the same as far as they're concerned, plus they don't get setup (a task some people cannot do).

RMS- Selling computers w/ proprietary subjugating software is morally wrong- it makes you a bad person. The ethical thing would be to set them up w/ ubuntu and sell them, and spread free software.

But yeah, sounds like a good teenage business model to me. Wen I was 14, I sold now-n-laters during class. I made between $5 and $10 /day. My parents would buy them for me in bulk at Smart n Final for about $0.07 per pack, and I'd sell them at $0.25 each, or 5 for $1.00. I had a lot of loyal customers handing me their lunch money in homeroom every day :D.

BM

openfly
October 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
RMS- Selling computers w/ proprietary subjugating software is morally wrong- it makes you a bad person. The ethical thing would be to set them up w/ ubuntu and sell them, and spread free software.

But yeah, sounds like a good teenage business model to me. Wen I was 14, I sold now-n-laters during class. I made between $5 and $10 /day. My parents would buy them for me in bulk at Smart n Final for about $0.07 per pack, and I'd sell them at $0.25 each, or 5 for $1.00. I had a lot of loyal customers handing me their lunch money in homeroom every day :D.

BM

They ended that in most of the schools I was in. At first it was because of rival vendors getting into some pretty vicious fights. At the end it was because those sales were cutting into the schools profits from their snack machines / cafeteria / snack bar.

=/

blur xc
October 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
They ended that in most of the schools I was in. At first it was because of rival vendors getting into some pretty vicious fights. At the end it was because those sales were cutting into the schools profits from their snack machines / cafeteria / snack bar.

=/

It was against the rules when I did it too, and my parents knew that. For that reason I didn't bring more than $10 of inventory w/ me per day, and kept my operation small. Also, for some reason, my homeroom teacher knew I was doing it, and never said anything.

BM

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Selling computers with proprietary software is nowhere near morally wrong. People deserve the right to have choice, and if they choose a proprietary solution, that is their business, and is perfectly fine.

You're being ridiculous if you think selling windows period is unethical.

openfly
October 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Selling computers with proprietary software is nowhere near morally wrong. People deserve the right to have choice, and if they choose a proprietary solution, that is their business, and is perfectly fine.

By that logic you'd allow the free worship of all religions! Heathen!

blur xc
October 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM

You missed the "RMS", Richard M Stallman. I've been watching a few of his lectures on Youtube.

BM

chucky chuckaluck
October 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
+1 for mowing lawns (i pay my neighbors' ten year old to mow mine). as a 14 year old linux guru, it might be your last shot at spending some time outside.