PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do I use multiple workspaces with multiple monitors?

Vostrocity
October 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I only have my laptop right now, but I'm contemplating buying a 2nd, external monitor. I have 4 workspaces arranged in the Compiz cube. Is it possible to use 4 workspaces on my main monitor and then have the other monitor set to only 1 workspace? My plan is to have some essentials like email and music always on the 2nd monitor and still be able to flip through different projects on my main monitor by using workspaces.

ermeyers
October 16th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I can't tell you absolutely-yes, because I haven't done it on an Ubuntu machine yet, but on an older Fedora Core 4 KDE, the second monitor got it's own Desktop1 and configuration for panels, etc. Should be no problem at all.

paulisdead
October 16th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I've not looked into trying this myself, but the default behavior in gnome is that they share the same virtual desktop, so this makes for some really wide desktops. So it'll change to the second desktop on both screens if you switch. If you click the top left button in a window, there's an option to always show the app on the visible workspace, so the window will always show up in the same spot on all desktops. I know that's not quite what you're looking for, but it might work for you.

Vostrocity
October 16th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I've not looked into trying this myself, but the default behavior in gnome is that they share the same virtual desktop, so this makes for some really wide desktops. So it'll change to the second desktop on both screens if you switch. If you click the top left button in a window, there's an option to always show the app on the visible workspace, so the window will always show up in the same spot on all desktops. I know that's not quite what you're looking for, but it might work for you.
Ok thanks for clarifying that. I could do that but it's another step whenever I want to drag windows between the two monitors.

I'm going to try to get ahold of a second monitor so I can test my theory before I buy.