PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] The future of Gnome 2?

maxsideburn
October 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Just wondering, but does anybody know what's going to happen with Gnome 2 once Gnome 3 is released? I've seen "Gnome-Shell" and I want absolutely no part of it. It is probably the dumbest design I have ever seen for a user interface.

So is Gnome 2 just going to be left to die? It was finally getting to a state that I really liked it. Especially the way Ubuntu implements it. I like menus at the top of the screen (ala Mac) instead of a taskbar at the bottom like KDE does (ala Windows). I like a desktop (just one, I don't need multiple desktops), I like menus, I like panels, etc...

My two favorite interfaces are Gnome 2 and WindowMaker, if Gnome 2 bites the dust then I'll be stuck between a dead WM and a dying WM.

ThaRabbit
October 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM
gnome-shell is exactly that, a shell. Disable it and live on :)

let's just hope the rewrite / expansion will not cause a performance hit.

Bad Sector
October 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
It looks interesting to me. And i suppose, like other stuff in Gnome, you can disable the parts you don't want.

BigCityCat
October 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I really just started using Ubuntu. I took a look at some screenshots of gnome 3.0 and I don't like it as much.

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I don't like it. As already mentioned, you can't disable some things in gnome without loosing additional functionality and I bet it will be the case with gnome-shell. Besides, you can't even run compiz with it enabled.

I have decided to switch to KDE because of gnome-shell and I couldn't be happier. It looks awesome and has some really nice widgets and applications. Since I still like various gnome applications and management tools, I have installed just kde-minimal and kdeplasma-addons from the Ubuntu alternate CD and added just the gnome stuff I need.

For those who don't want to fully switch to Kubuntu, it is possible to replace gnome-shell with plasma-desktop while logged into gnome. You don't even have to install the whole KDE desktop packages. I have posted a thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291048), with instructions on how to do that on Karmic.

qamelian
October 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Personally, I love Gnome-shell and can't wait for the final product. Even as it stands now, I find it more usable (for me) than KDE 4.X or Gnome 2.X. Then again, the last version of KDE that I genuinely enjoyed using was 2.2! :)

lswb
October 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM
It looks interesting to me. And i suppose, like other stuff in Gnome, you can disable the parts you don't want.

Now if we could only enable the parts we DO want... :)

Excel 2000 Troubleshoot
October 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
The announcement a few weeks ago of the preliminary plans for GNOME 3.0 catapulted the GNOME Shell and GNOME Zeitgeist into the spotlight. Previously little-known, these programs are now identified as the basis of a new user experience in GNOME 3.0. Meanwhile, both are in their early stages, and few have tried them, with the result that they are surrounded by question marks.
What exactly are these programs? What vision do they share in common? Most importantly of all, are they capable of bearing the expectations placed upon them? Any answers to these questions must be tentative, because both projects are in rapid development, and certain to change dramatically by the time GNOME 3.0 is released. All the same, those in search of preliminary answers can find them with a bit of quick compiling.

__________________________________________________ _
http://www.officesupportline.com/Easter-Eggs-and-Tobacco-with-Excel-2000/Y2009-10-08.htm

maxsideburn
October 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Well my biggest thing is that I don't even use virtual desktops in Gnome 2.0, so I certainly don't want a desktop environment based around virtual desktops. Sorry, it's just stupid. That's what you have a taskbar/window list for!

qamelian
October 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Well my biggest thing is that I don't even use virtual desktops in Gnome 2.0, so I certainly don't want a desktop environment based around virtual desktops. Sorry, it's just stupid. That's what you have a taskbar/window list for!
Sorry, it isn't just stupid. It's a tool for organizing your workspace better. Maybe you don't need it, but for some of us, it can be a real boon to efficiently getting work done. And you don't need to use workspaces in Gnome-shell if you don't want to. It defaults to one workspace whereas Ubuntu defaults normally to two, and the traditional Gnome default is 4. So, based purely on your preference not to use virtual desktops, Gnome-shell already makes more sense. :)

wbee
October 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
(deleted by poster)