PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Amazon.com's MP3 Downloader

Teasdale
October 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'd like to use this, and I see that they now offer a Linux download (http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/amd.html/ref=dm_dp_amd) - but for Ubuntu 8.10, and I have 9.10. When I try to download the MP3 downloader (or the Debian option), I get an error message saying "wrong architecture." Also, my PC is 64-bit, which may make a difference.

Am I just out of luck, or is there a work-around?

SuperSonic4
October 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Amazon's downloader is 32 bit, You'd need to the 32 bit libs

edit: The package in the AUR says that there are the following dependencies (These are arch so look for small variations and ignore the inverted commas)

'bash' 'lib32-libxdamage' 'lib32-curl' 'lib32-pango' 'lib32-gtk2'

Teasdale
October 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Amazon's downloader is 32 bit, You'd need to the 32 bit libs

edit: The package in the AUR says that there are the following dependencies (These are arch so look for small variations and ignore the inverted commas)

'bash' 'lib32-libxdamage' 'lib32-curl' 'lib32-pango' 'lib32-gtk2'

So I need to type :
sudo apt-get install bash
sudo apt-get install lib32-libxdamage
sudo apt-get install lib32-curl
sudo apt-get install lib32-pango
sudo apt-get install lib32-gtk2

and then click the Ubuntu 8.10 download at amazon.com, and it should install?

SuperSonic4
October 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
In theory yes, no idea if they are the right packages though. You may want to check in Synaptic

Teasdale
October 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I see 'bash' (it was already installed) but nothing close to the others in the synaptic package manager with a 'lib32' prefix.

oldos2er
October 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
http://code.google.com/p/clamz/

kanikilu
October 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but here are instructions to get the Amazon MP3 downloader working in 64-bit Ubuntu: http://www.ensode.net/roller/dheffelfinger/entry/installing_amazon_mp3_downloader_under

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
So I need to type :
sudo apt-get install bash
sudo apt-get install lib32-libxdamage
sudo apt-get install lib32-curl
sudo apt-get install lib32-pango
sudo apt-get install lib32-gtk2

and then click the Ubuntu 8.10 download at amazon.com, and it should install?

You don't need to redo an install command for every individual item. Try this:

sudo apt-get install bash lib32-libxdamage lib32-curl lib32-pango lib32-gtk2

I'm not saying this will fix your problem. I have no idea what those packages do :). Why are you installing bash? It should be installed.

ElSlunko
October 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I can confirm that once you install the dependencies and use the flag to force architecture as mentioned in the links above Amazon's MP3 downloader works in 9.10 64bit.

The Cog
October 15th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I won't use it. There is no good reason for them to not allow use of a browser to download the tracks, other than that they want to install their software on your PC. Now, why would they want to do that? You have Sony to thank for my uncompromising attitude towards that idea: No thanks, it's my computer and I want it to stay that way.

Teasdale
October 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I won't use it. There is no good reason for them to not allow use of a browser to download the tracks, other than that they want to install their software on your PC.

I can download entire CD's much cheaper than purchasing each song individually - but it requires the software. The price difference for something like Les Miserables, with many short songs, is significant. And right now, they're offering a free CD that I'd like.