PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] How to install WUBI 8.10 without optical drive

yalgret
October 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I tried to install ubuntu 8.10 on a friends computer, I failed because the disk drive would not read the disk.

Now I am at home, I have a pc with a working disk drive, Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.10 (wubi), and the ubntu 8.10 disk. I also have a 4GB usb drive.

What can i do to install WUBI on thier computer?]:!:](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,):!:

I have done alot of reasearch but only found portable USB installatoins or full installations.

Also I have tried Unetbootin but I cant find the correct iso and I dont know how to do wubi from it anyway.

I will be very, very greatfull if someone can help me.

I have been trying to solve this for a wile now.

mikewhatever
October 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
This is from the wubi FAQ:

Can I use an existing ISO/CD instead of letting Wubi download a new one?

Yes, physical CDs will be detected automatically, pre-downloaded ISOs should be placed in the same folder as Wubi.exe. Please note tha Wubi 8.10 requires the Desktop 8.10 CD/ISO. The DVD and Altrenate CD/ISO will not work. You can find the 8.10 ISO here. If Wubi does not find an appropriate ISO/CD and/or if the ISO/CD is corrupted, it will automatically download a new ISO. It is recommended to let Wubi download the ISO for you.

Just follow the instructions and forget about the cd, and next time, don't forget to read the FAQ, after the mandatory head banging.

yalgret
October 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I didnt know it was so simple!

Now I can spread the word of ubuntu:guitar: