PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE 4.3 and Windows 7

Shibblet
October 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm at a friends house last night, and he's just RAVING about Windows 7. So I decide to take a whirl and play with it a bit. I find myself feeling somewhat comfortable with the interface. The longer I sit there playing around with it, the more I feel like I've used this before...

Then it hits me like a ton of bricks. I feel like I'm using KDE.

Now, I've never really cared for KDE much in the past, but that's because I had Gnome to use instead. Gnome really is much more simple an interface than KDE. But the more I play with Windows 7, the more I start re-thinking my original decision.

So, after I head home, I fired up Synaptic and download the Kubuntu Desktop. After an initial app sweep-up, I start messing around with the interface, and find myself more and more comfortable. And it might be premature, but Kubuntu may be my Desktop of choice when Karmic is released. I guess I have about 14 more days to figure that out.

Now back to the main question... Has anyone else found Windows 7 to be very KDE'ish? Isn't it amazing how features like "Jump Lists", "Start Menu", "Taskbar" people think are great new interfaces for Windows, but have been around for years with KDE?

About the only thing I don't like about KDE is that thing in the upper right hand corner, looks like Mario shot a fireball up there and it stuck for some reason. Also, what is up with the "Plasma Dashboard" ?

Shibblet
October 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, and is it true you can run KDE on Windows 7?

BigCityCat
October 16th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Exactly, that's what makes them both so boring, and makes Ubuntu so fresh.

Ekeluo
October 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Yes, you can run kde on Windows 7 (Or soon enough). How does being multi-platform make one boring?

gnuvistawouldbecool
October 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Exactly, that's what makes them both so boring, and makes Ubuntu so fresh.

Compare the RAM usage though....

I can run KDE 4.3 with a 6 year old computer easily. The same computer would need at least a RAM upgrade to run Win 7, and I doubt Aero would work on it's graphics card.

On my laptop, 4.3 will run in about 300 - 400 MB RAM, Win 7 idles on about 500, maybe 600.

KDE 4.3 with Openbox, will run at 180MB when initially started. Granted no compositing though. Using xcompmgr and openbox, I've got Firefox 3.5, 4 instances of konsole and pidgin running, in 309MB RAM.

I'd like to see someone get Windows 7 to do that.

Chad5ter
October 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
It seems threads are going the same way about Windows7 vs. Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu...

Well, I'm not a big fan of Micro$oft at all, for the prices and the complicated way sometimes it could be, but I can tell you that Windows7 is probably at the moment (Until release in-store), the best Windows ever been. So simple, easy to use, nicer look and faster than others.

Kubuntu is really Eye Candy for most of parts, easiest distro to use KDE (at my opinion with APT), and still absolutely more powerful than any Windows. The only thing is blocking me is that ****** idea to put a "K" on each program's name :-k. Plus, the UI still buggy for some reasons. Still work to do on it, but great future for a sweet look of Linux.

Of course, no one will complain about the fact that Windows is more for "Gaming" and simple applications like iTune (even if it still hard to not make it crashing #-o). gnuvistawouldbecool got a point too.

At my point, Ubuntu is more stable and simple than Eye Candy, but will still the best distro for being Friendly-user and powerful with all it's programs built-in \\:D/ .

Cheers!
:popcorn:

Chad5ter
Québec-~