PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn to code, but need a project.

Warpnow
October 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm going to try and learn python soon, but in my experience, unless I have a solid idea of what I want to do with something, I give up. I don't expect to be able to create a project the day I start, or the week or month I start, but I want a simple project I will be able to complete eventually, down the road, by myself, hopefully in a couple months of practice.

My first idea was a bibliography manager. Add sources one at a time, then when done, select formatting style and it would parse the file correctly. Seemed easy, but there seem to ten million of these programs, and I don't like reinventing the wheel.

Any ideas?

starcannon
October 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
How about a Magic The Gathering card organizer, perhaps something that would work with a database and even have some deck suggestions based from the cards available.

diesch
October 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
In http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291363 someone is looking for a command line youtube uploader. That sounds like a simple project.

sefs
October 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
A notification tray icon for checking IMAP/POP3 which supports ssl etc. And that uses a decent looking icon set.

donkyhotay
October 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You could join an existing project and help out with adding features, bugfixing, etc. I have an open source project coded in python that I'm working on called project tether (http://code.google.com/p/tether) that is striving to be a remake of a video game called Moonbase Commander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_Commander) when it's done (it's alpha - early beta right now). Whether you choose to join my project, another project, or start your own I would recommend doing something that interests you though. If you're doing something that doesn't interest you it's hard to keep with it. If you're just interested in learning python then having 'yet another bibliography manager' isn't a bad thing. Yes it's redundant but if you're just wanting to learn then that doesn't matter since it's primary purpose is for you to learn.

juancarlospaco
October 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Wich programming language?
Brainf*ck, LOLcode?

lisati
October 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Wich programming language?
I think Python has already been mentioned.

One of the ideas I've been toying with for a while for myself is a package to use transaction history downloaded from the bank and amongst other things produce a simple budget report to take in when I get a loan.

-grubby
October 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Seeing as you're new, don't try and make a GUI program.

As for project ideas, I dunno, a command-line refrigerator program? Make it store the name of the item and it's expiration, and make it so you can check which items are expired, or just list all items (or, obviously, add and remove them.)

NoaHall
October 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bicycle shop rents out bikes. Changes due to season. If the number of days is over 7, reduction of 25%. Deposit of £50 must be paid in all cases. Write a script to take the input of days, month, and then give a output of how much must be paid.

Spring charge is £5.00
Summer charge is £7.50
Autumn charge is £3.75
Winter charge is £2.50

How about that, easy enough, and can be done in every language you're likely to use.