PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unmoveable files

jimbo160
October 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have my computer set up as a dual boot, useing windows xp, and ubuntu 9.04, and am just trying to learn how to use ubuntu. My question is, when i am in my windows side, and i defrag my system, I see the blue files, some red fragments, and another large red area, that i hear is used by ubuntu. I also see some green files that were there before i installed ubuntu that were very small. Since i installed ubuntu, they take up 6 times as much room. I have seen an heard about aloted space for unmoveable files, and that area could be reset. Can anyone enlighten me a little more on the green files, and what i can do?

phillw
October 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I am assuming you 'sliced' your disk for the dual booting install, in which case Windows de-frag will leave the ubuntu area well alone - I wouldn't worry about what it reports for that area - it is a 'no-go' area for the defrag programme, and it will not be able to tell what is in that area.

The ubuntu area will have the general programme area in it and a swap area - hence seeing 2 sections.

Phill.

az
October 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Just to check, did you install with Wubi?

jimbo160
October 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Did not use wubi. i used ubuntu 9.04 disc i burned. All i did was allowed size, (8Gb), userame, and pass word to set up a dual boot. the disc downloaded, ask me to reboot. i was given option for windows, or ubuntu, and it downloaded rest of program. i did no partitions, or anything else.

Mark Phelps
October 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
When you boot and get a menu to choose the OS, is it a GRUB menu or is it an MS Windows boot menu? The second is only created as a side-effect of installing with Wubi.