PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Please.. ATI driver that actually works?

ThePossessedOne
October 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hello,

I'm running ultimate edition 2.3 x86_64.

Using a Sapphire Radeon 4850 x2 1gb.

My problem is that I cannot find a ATI 3d driver that will work. I have installed from the ATI website and it prompts me to restart. Restart and x window wont work. I then installed from EnvyNg, had the same problem and ive also tried the driver available from hardware drivers and again get the same problem. My system is fairly new..

AMD Phenom 9550 2.2ghz
4 GB RAM
Asus M3a
Sapphire Radeon 4850 x2 1gb
Dual Boot Windows Vista Home Premium x86

Im prepared to try a restricted driver/beta release - whatever. Im getting a real choppy, laggy and in general bad display with the default driver.

Brad.

Mark Phelps
October 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Everything you tried SHOULD work, so since I have to guess, my guess would be that your "x2" refers to having two video cards plugged in. Are you also running Crossfire? Or are you trying to use the cards individually?

Sorry, not familiar with the intricacies of getting multiple video cards working in Linux; have had enough problems with ONE ATI card to last me.

You could try removing one card and seeing if that does anything to fix the problem, and then do a search in the Video subforum for posts that deal with multiple cards. I think you have to install special software to handle that, but I'm not sure.

ThePossessedOne
October 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Its a Dual Core GPU, two cores on a single PCIe slot. Im not running in crossfire. Any links to latest working drivers would be appreciated.

ThePossessedOne
October 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
:( ATI driver, please...

Mark Phelps
October 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
In my experience, the best source of the newest ATI drivers while they are still in development is the Phoronix forums. If you Google for them, you'll find links for ATI drivers. I believe the 9.10 are out in Beta, but I'm not sure.