PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Login problem with 9.04

Zenashula
October 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I installed 9.04 using Wubi, as a dual boot system with XP (SP3). I have never used an OS other than Windows before but all appeared to go well and none of my Windows applications seem to have disappeared. However, when I try to boot into Ubuntu, it tells me there is something wrong with my username or password. I'm sure I typed it in correctly but I must have done something stupid. I've tried lots of variations without success. Can anyone suggest how I can recover my username and password?

phillw
October 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I installed 9.04 using Wubi, as a dual boot system with XP (SP3). I have never used an OS other than Windows before but all appeared to go well and none of my Windows applications seem to have disappeared. However, when I try to boot into Ubuntu, it tells me there is something wrong with my username or password. I'm sure I typed it in correctly but I must have done something stupid. I've tried lots of variations without success. Can anyone suggest how I can recover my username and password?

Hiyas,

Have a look here ..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/reset-your-ubuntu-password-easily-from-the-live-cd/

replace the username 'geek' with your own !!!

Regards,

Phill.

Zenashula
October 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions in your guide for password resetting. When I get to "root@ubuntu:~# ", I type in "passwd geek" (not geek of course,) and it returns the following: passwd: unknown user geek. Has 9.04 got a built-in password theft preventer? Would it be possible to uninstall ubuntu completely from inside Windows and do a reinstall?