I faced the similar problem on 8.04 a few days back

What is the problem

vipulkelkar
October 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a nvidia geforce 6150 card
and nividia driver version 180 installed

Niko Johnson
October 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
you might have to check your resultion... what graphics card are you using... to quickly check your resolution just go to system >> administration >> display or maybe its prefences >> display.... eaither way play around with your choices and see if that works. it should do the trick if its not a driver problem. other wise there are a few more steps to installing and using a driver, but there not hard

Niko Johnson
October 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
then run this code as root then log out and back in to restart the settings and see how it works
nvidia-xconfig

vipulkelkar
October 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
When i go to pref->display
It says
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?

yes no
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It when i say yes..it opens the nvidia xserver settings

achase79
October 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
open the terminal from applications -> accessories -> terminal and type

sudo nvidia-xconfig;sudo nividia-settings
In settings set your resolution and save settings. (this should correctly update your /etc/Xll/xorg.conf file)

achase79
October 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
BTW driver 180 is still slightly experimental and it by itself may be glitchy

vipulkelkar
October 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
i am not able to find where to change the reslolution
The resolution is set to 1024x768 as shown in the pref->display

Niko Johnson
October 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
try using the nvidia settings to change your resultion run this as root
nvidia-settings . if it gives you a pop up saying run some other command first then go ahead and do that then go back to the settings... change your resultion according to your monitor documentation and log out and back in and see how that works

vipulkelkar
October 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
so shall i go with 173 ??

Niko Johnson
October 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
its possable... just beacuse the 180 is newer doesnt mean its better... i got the 180 to work for me but every mechine is different.. just give it a try and see how it works out. its always good to keep your eyes open to new solutions

vipulkelkar
October 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I was able to change my resolution and save it to the config file...
but i m not able to see the changes after reboot

Can u give me the command to set the x config file to default..as it is when we install the OS