PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How does one reinstall w/o losing files?

franklin_m
October 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hello,

I've got a display problem with my Dell Mini 10V running Netbook Remix 9.04 (see my other posting for details).

The only solution posted thus far is to "reinstall." However, I have email and other files that I don't want to lose.

How can I reload the netbook remix w/o losing anything? If not, then how can I minimize what I lose?

Thanks so much. Have to take the computer on the road this weekend, so I'll be attempting this in the next day or so.

Thanks,
Frank

nothingspecial
October 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Here is how (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome)

nothingspecial
October 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Woah - you don`t need to reinstall

gah, I hate it when people suggest that when it is entirely unnecessary.

Just
killall maximus

Then go to system > preferences > startup applications and uncheck maximus.

3rdalbum
October 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
You don't need to create a seperate /home partition in order to keep your data.

Back up the contents of your home directory, INCLUDING the hidden files in it as these contain your e-mail. You might need to do this from the live environment if you can't get into the installed system.

Now install Ubuntu using the Manual Partitioning option, and make sure you tell it not to format the partition. You need to set the mount point of the partition as "/".

When you boot into your installed system, it should still contain the contents of /home. Even if it hasn't retained the /home (due to bugs or user error) then you've got a backup that you can just copy back into the new system.

franklin_m
October 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
For Nothing special...

My problem is that when I boot into GUI, what comes up is nothing but the desktop. No menus, no nothing, so can't get to the startup stuff.

Is there another way to kill maximus?

Frank

achase79
October 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ctrl+alt+F1 then login and type killall maximus then do a ctrl+alt+F8 to return to GUI

franklin_m
October 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Achase...

Thanks! Will try it tonight.

Frank

franklin_m
October 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Achase,

I tried the cntrl-alt-F1 then login then killall maximus, then cntrl-alt-F8 to get back.

Didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Frank

franklin_m
October 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
3rd Album,

I tried that, and when it booted into Linux, I had all sorts of error messages related to the display.

Any ideas?
Frank

marshmallow1304
October 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I tried the cntrl-alt-F1 then login then killall maximus, then cntrl-alt-F8 to get back.

Isn't it F7 instead of F8?