PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] screwed during fresh install of 9.04

davidU
October 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Why is it that after all these years trying to use Ubuntu that I am still in the dark and having to come here to find a fix ?

Maybe Ubuntu developers should be able to use Windows before they start programming Linux ? Sorry if that hurts, but it might help Windose users to migrate smoothly to a point where they can reliably use the Ubuntu OS for business purposes.

OK, gripe begins.

This is not the first time that a supposed simple update of Ubuntu trashed the installation and the other OS which was on the machine.

OK 8 had it's weaknesses but try installing 9.04 on an ordinary old Toshiba Satalite laptop, one that doesn't have a wide screen and what do I get, a wide screen during installation which means I can't use the Option to specify the partition size as the end of the slider has disappeared off the screen.

Any ideas how I progress so I can dual boot with XP, and choose the partition size for Ubuntu 9.04 ? I only have 30Gb to share between 'em, I would like 10Gb for Linux.

I have a BSc in this game and it doesn't appear to be much use when using Ubuntu. There always seems to be some catch.

And this is it. Now there isn't enough space on the hard drive to share 9.04 with Windows XP.
It requires at least 20 Gb ! Durrr !

I give up. Windows it will be now until hell freezes over !
Regards and thanx in advance Alfazed www.crackpots.org.uk (http://www.crackpots.org.uk) :guitar:

Bartender
October 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for sharing

presence1960
October 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Maybe you are better off using windows. Ubuntu is not for everyone. Follow your own conscience and do what is best for your needs, even if that means windows. There is no shame in using windows.

davidU
October 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Please forgive my extreme negativity.
Too many cups of coffee and no breakfast.

I eventually realised that I probably don't need to dual boot my old laptop any more.

I'd been holding out with Windows XP because it works and all my apps run on it. And it has a licence. Changing to any other OS is fraut with the opportunity to waste a lot of time and productivity. Who can afford to waste time these days, eh ?

Anyways, after taking two days, (with breaks), to re-install Windows XP and bring it up to date with all my apps configured, I had been telling myself "This is F*ing ridiculous", without having the gumption to just jump the MS ship completely.

Well, now I have.

In a couple of hours I had Ubuntu 9.04 fully up to date and functioning (wireless card, MP3 player, etc) on the laptop, alone, no dual boot.

It's easy - when you finally let go of Microsoft.

Thank you Mark for making this possible, and the community for putting up with my gripes all these years. I hope you still think it is worth the abuse you take from people like me.

Big sorry, and even bigger thanks.

ALFAZED www.crackpots.org.uk (http://www.crackpots.org.uk) :guitar:

Skwerly
October 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I recently did the exact same thing, and on a laptop. I was running 9.04 on my desktop PC and loved loved loved it. So, I inserted the install CD into the laptop, put the arrow over "use entire disk (this will completely erase Windows), closed my eyes and clicked lol.

It's good stuff. I'm glad your frustration has waned. :)