PDA

View Full Version : My desktop is gone

xjsquarred
October 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Hi, I have UNR 9.04 on a dell mini 12. The UNR desktop was making my netbook run slowly. For a while I simply switched to the classic ubuntu desktop every time I started the computer. Then I opened startup options and de-selected the UNR desktop, figuring it would revert to the classic desktop. Now my computer starts and shows the background image and desktop icons only. I am able to open nautilus and browse the files. I can click "get help online" to open firefox. I tried searching for similar problems or quick keys that could open the settings to correct the problem, but I haven't found anything. Thanks in advance...
Reed

wilee-nilee
October 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hi, I have UNR 9.04 on a dell mini 12. The UNR desktop was making my netbook run slowly. For a while I simply switched to the classic ubuntu desktop every time I started the computer. Then I opened startup options and de-selected the UNR desktop, figuring it would revert to the classic desktop. Now my computer starts and shows the background image and desktop icons only. I am able to open nautilus and browse the files. I can click "get help online" to open firefox. I tried searching for similar problems or quick keys that could open the settings to correct the problem, but I haven't found anything. Thanks in advance...
Reed

So a quick look with Google shows some problems in general with the dell mini's in general hopefully you can get some help on the forums but you may look at the web.

ugm6hr
October 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM
What did you want to do? Go to the standard Gnome desktop, or the nebook remix?

xjsquarred
October 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
either would be fine, right now i have no desktop. Preferably the classic desktop.

ugm6hr
October 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Press Alt+F2: gnome-terminal

In the terminal:

sudo apt-get remove netbook-launcher maximus

Reboot, and see if it is solved.

If not, install reset gnome again:
In nautilus, show hidden files in /home/username
Delete all the .gnome and .gconf and .nautilus folders

Reboot