PDA

View Full Version : Would you support my idea in Ubuntu brainstorm?

csh
October 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM
If I created this thread in a wrong section, moderator please move it.

I submitted a new idea in Ubuntu Brainstorm website, approved as of today (20 October).

Would anyone support my Idea in Ubuntu brainstorm? (Click on the following picture for details).

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21848/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21848/)

jpmelos
October 15th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I think your idea is very interesting! I'll vote it up when we're allowed to.

And I think you should have waited for your idea to be approved by the moderators to post this... You'll have to bump it when it's allowed, so people can vote. If you don't, we probably won't remember.

akakingess
October 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Good timing though, with the developers summit in Dallas coming up next month. Maybe if you can attend you can add your idea to the blueprint for the summit..? But to the original point, yes, I would vote for it, maybe a good chance for some more visibility in the consumer market and acceptance from the manufacturers themselves!

P4man
October 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I dont think its quite possible to mimic what splashtop does. I believe it has a hardware component (integration in the BIOS and/or flash). Considering how hard it seems to be get linux working with BIOS's (or vice versa) for "standard" BIOS interfaces like ACPI, Im not sure an "ubuntutop" is something to pursue. Remember an ubuntutop would have to support the wired and wireless networking, onboard sound, webcam, etc. Its hard enough to get that working for most machines ;).

BTW, my last build did have splashtop (Asus motherboard for AMD). Its neat, but its not exactly instant (though I admit its fast). Its ugly, its limited, and worst of all, it still relies on a harddrive, as most of the splashtop OS resides on a folder on an ntfs partition, so its not usable for disaster recovery or troubleshooting. In short its barely better than a fast live USB stick, so if any energy is going to be invested, Id rather see it directed towards a faster booting "live" USB stick.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind voting for it, but voting isn't gonna make it happen. This is not a nice little idea that a lone developper could pick up from launchpad and say 'hey, thats neat, lets do that today'.

SofaSmarties
October 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
id vote for it

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I thought that there was an Instant On Linux though? I thought that it was getting installed on lots of machines? Or are these commercial ones also based on Lin? o.O

P4man
October 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I thought that there was an Instant On Linux though? I thought that it was getting installed on lots of machines? Or are these commercial ones also based on Lin? o.O

splashtop is commercial. But hey, that isn't necessarily a bad thing IMHO. If nothing else, the good part about OEMs integrating splashtop is that they probably must ensure their BIOS's are linux friendly, and select hardware (sound / network / wifi / webcam / ..) that works with it, whether its a commercial distro or not.

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 07:58 AM
splashtop is commercial. But hey, that isn't necessarily a bad thing IMHO. If nothing else, the good part about OEMs integrating splashtop is that they probably must ensure their BIOS's are linux friendly, and select hardware (sound / network / wifi / webcam / ..) that works with it, whether its a commercial distro or not.

Oh ok so Splashtop is based on Lin? Sorry I am fairly ignorant to these Instant On OSs, I've never used them :)

P4man
October 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Oh ok so Splashtop is based on Lin? Sorry I am fairly ignorant to these Instant On OSs, I've never used them :)

From splashtop website:

. Is Splashtop based on Linux?
Splashtop has two components. One is a real-time operating system that runs out of the system BIOS. The second is an optimized Linux stack that boots rapidly and can run most Linux-based applications.

Im not quite sure what that means, are they running a linux kernel? Id guess so, but it sounds like they'd rather not say they do.

edit: wikipedia claims its based on a 2.6 kernel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop

csh
October 20th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, my idea get approved. Please support it.

madhi19
October 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Voted for it and I took the time to check my dashboard and what do you know I got a small hit on one of my solution!
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21582/