PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu to windows

aquarius79
October 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM
How do you uninstall Ubuntu to install Windows Xp?

dvlchd3
October 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Just simply put in the Windows installation disk, boot up, and install.

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD before your harddrive.

elliotn
October 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
so simple. just said above. format the drive and install win

aquarius79
October 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
when i put a dic in it brings up a bunch of files n folders but when i click on them it does absolutely nothing. thing have told me that different software is not compatible with what is on here.

SkyNet2029
October 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
You need to place the windows installation cd in the drive. reboot your machine with the disc in the drive.
You may see a prompt that says
'press any key to boot from cd/dvd

press any key to start the windows installation.

As mentioned above post:
Your BIOS must be set to boot from cd/dvd (if it is not then set it in the BIOS)

wlraider70
October 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I didn't really understand that post.

But if you are trying to install windows for the first time.
The installer will format that us delete all files and pit windows on.
The face that ununtu was on the drive is irrelvant.

Are u sure the windows install cd is functioning correctly.

|Mitch|
October 15th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Windows CD into drive, restart, hit any key to boot off cd [if Bios is set to look at cd first], follow directions.

What I don't understand is why wipe Windows completely to try Ubuntu, within less than a month you decide you didn't like it and want to creep back over to the dark-side.

Could have dual-booted, or just live booted?!

If you bought the computer with XP pre-installed, you either have a restore disk, which works the same way as above. Or you would have had a restore partition automatically set up. Unfortunately, Ubuntu would have wiped that clean and you will have to call the manufacturer and get them to send you the restore disk, free if the computer is still under warranty.

HamzahQaisar
October 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Mayby That Why he Wants to :P:P Ubuntu..............

if you get it

HamzahQaisar
October 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
This was the easist way for me..

Press the start button if you have a decent computer it will come on the side "boot options" press the required "f" key make sure you put ur "windows CD" in then select the option that says "*******cd/dvd rw*********** select that

jmundinger
October 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
One additional thought. If you are going to reformat the hard drive and start all over, I'd suggest that use the installation as an opportunity to partition the hard drive, especially if you have 160 gb or greater. Unless you will be running a lot of applications, you really don't need anything more than 40 gb for Windows XP. So, create a partion of about that size for the windows installation and then, after the installation is complete, use the disk manager to make one or two primary partitions in the unused space. Then, store your data in one of those partitions rather than in the partition in which windows is installed. When you do that, you can also edit the properties of "my documents" so the link points to the drive you set up for the data.

And, a footnote - Windows has a backup utility but you have to manually install it after you have completed the initial installation. Here is one description for how to do that.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Mark Phelps
October 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
when i put a dic in it brings up a bunch of files n folders but when i click on them it does absolutely nothing. thing have told me that different software is not compatible with what is on here.

It sounds like what you're doing is launching Ubuntu, then inserting the XP CD and when the folder opens, clicking setup or something like that.

THAT WON'T WORK. This is Linux, not Windows. You can't use Ubuntu to install MS Windows OSs.

As others have told you in some detail, you will need to boot from the XP CD and do the install from there.

If I misunderstood what you're trying to do, then sorry, don't know what to tell you.