PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kernel upgrade tries to lose my WIndows boot

rpaskudniak
October 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Ubuntu 9.04, with Windows-XP dual boot arrangement

Greetings.

After my recent success installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my Windows box, the boot menu came up looking like this:

Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
Other operating systems:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Thus, if I don't watch the boot, Ubuntu will boot within 10 seconds of presenting this menu. Since this is not to my liking (I still want XP as my default boot), I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the menu looks like this:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Other operating systems - Do not select this line:
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+

(I also gave it a 30-second timeout.)

Then the automatic update kicked in, including a kernel upgrade. When it was done, it asked me what to do with the boot menu. I told it to go ahead and impose the new menu, after saving my current menu.lst. Now the menu.list would present the following choices:

Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
That is, two modes of the new release 2.6.28.15 kernel, plus two modes of the release 2.6.28-11 kernel.

It omitted the Windows boot section; I had to add that back manually by copying the code from the original installed version of menu.lst. :mad:

Am I condemned to have to remember to do this every time there is a kernel upgrade? I can't fault Ubuntu for some self-promotion but this is ridiculous!

Anyone out there got a solution besides this manual edit?

Thanks much.

More bones to pick in another thread...

louieb
October 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
You put your XP entry in the automagic section of /boot/grub/menu.lst. Thats why it got erased.

To put it on top and keep it from being erassed put the XP entry betweeen the these lines.

# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

rpaskudniak
October 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM
louieb,

Thanks for the advice. I have moved the those first two menu items above the BEGIN AUTOMAGIC section. Of course, I won't know for certain if I have screwed up until my next reboot. And I won't have confirmation that this has solved my dilemma until the next kernel upgrade.

Sighh....

However, I will still mark this thread as solved.

Again, thanks much! :popcorn: