PDA

View Full Version : What about the better integration of kde plasmoids in panel

praveesh
October 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM
While working, most of the times, the kde desktop will be covered with windows . To see the plasmoids one will need to click on the show dashboard plasmoid. It is similar to restoring a minimised window . Plasmoids will become more useful if those are placed on the panel . But not every plasmoid integrate well on a panel. Some one will grow to occupy the whole space in the panel. Some others will not be scaled down on a panel. One solution for this problem , I think is the ability to resize the plasmoids on the panel. This has another advantage that we can make the panel look like a dock by enlarging the plasmoids to size bigger than that of panel . What do you all think ?

Islington
October 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
or you could just assign a corner to show dashboard, or you could even add the 'show dashboard" plasmoid to a panel

NormanFLinux
October 15th, 2009, 04:42 AM
The idea is all icons are pinnable. Microsoft is only beginning to catch on and Mac OSX has had the idea of widgets all along.

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
While working, most of the times, the kde desktop will be covered with windows . To see the plasmoids one will need to click on the show dashboard plasmoid. It is similar to restoring a minimised window . Plasmoids will become more useful if those are placed on the panel . But not every plasmoid integrate well on a panel. Some one will grow to occupy the whole space in the panel. Some others will not be scaled down on a panel. One solution for this problem , I think is the ability to resize the plasmoids on the panel. This has another advantage that we can make the panel look like a dock by enlarging the plasmoids to size bigger than that of panel . What do you all think ?

Hi praveesh. You idea is good, but I guess the real problem lies in the ability of the authors to incorporate the resizing feature into their plasmoids. There are also plasmoids that don't make sense when sized down to the panel height, so the usually behave differently when added to the panel. It's the case of the default Folder View, which is fully displayed when added to the desktop, but iconized when added to the panel.

There are some plasmoids that I would like to add to the panel, but they are too big and don't resize. For example the Plasmacon. Perhaps it could be a one-line terminal when added to the panel.

Anyway, what I did with the Plasmacon is to put it in the dashboard and configure plasma to use a separate dashboard. Then I added the "Show Widget Dashboard" widget to the panel and assigned a keyboard shortkey. So whenever I need a terminal, I just hit CTRL with my smaller left finger (don't know the name of it in English :) ) and SPACE with my thumb. ;)