PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rapid Application Development

msimon1960
October 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I use Visual Foxpro 5.0 for rapid application development and have evolved through the various dbase versions in the eighties. Collectively they are based on the xbase language (aka BASIC).

It's my last tie to the Windows world and I'm looking for an Linux solution.

I'm looking for the following characteristics in a new Rapid Application Development database system:

1. Relational database
2. Ability to produce interactive forms on screen.
3. Ability to print reports
4. Ability to program in something relatively straightforward (BASIC-like).

A couple of comments to underscore what I don't want:

1. If you think Access is ok then you are not my kind of people!
2. If the thought of learning or using VBA doesn't clench your colon then you're not my kind of people.
3. I don't need a multi-user solution.
4. The logic involved in my applications is very complex (human resources) and changes daily. I need to be able to change code to reflect the logic of company policies, practices, and procedures on a dime (hence the emphasis on RAPID).
5. I need to be able to 'recalculate' data via batch files on a very regular basis.

Notes: MySql is not a RAD -- it's a database engine. I need the front end part (i.e. menus, screen forms, reports, a relational database programming language).

Contenders:

- Open Office Base would be nice due to integration with the rest of the OpenOffice Suite. I can't find a language reference yet and I would like to see an actual multi-table application sample with some code. Can you write a standalone app with it?

- Kexi -- haven't look at it yet? Am I wasting my time?

- I'm willing to pay for the right product.

- Other suggestions?

RufusG
October 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
May I suggest that you evaluate SIMPOL

Excellent form-based system that can be used for designing both small and very large systems

More at www.simpol.com

Regards

msimon1960
October 20th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Thank you -- I've downloaded their demo and taking a close look at it. I'll post my impressions here -- there may be other people looking for an xbase RAD/IDE.

Matt.