PDA

View Full Version : gonna use kubuntu 9.10 as my main os when it comes out. will i like it?

northwestuntu
October 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
been using ubuntu for 2 years now. i like it for the most part, but never gave kde a chance before. anyone else make a switch from gnome to kde and like it?

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Must... resist.. urge to be... KDE... fanboy... >.<

hehe :)

RiceMonster
October 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM
will i like it?

How should I know?

northwestuntu
October 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
How should I know?

everyone said you would know :P

praveesh
October 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM

lol

stuart.reinke
October 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
You will never know until you try it. That's the beauty of Linux, if you find that you don't like it you can switch to a different DE with a simple command in terminal or a few clicks in Synaptic.

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
To be honest I think we're all just KDE'd out (even me! hehe!) after all the threads recently - check this though:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291059 :)

I hope you really enjoy Kubuntu anyway! In summary, KDE is excellent and still a bit under development but on a good path, while Kubuntu itself is a little more bumpy as a distribution but still worth a bash :) It's my distro of choice atm though, and I find it pretty alright!

praveesh
October 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM
If you have a fast internet, I think it's better installing kde in Ubuntu than using kUbuntu .

AllRadioisDead
October 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I don't know, why don't you try it and get back to us?

Tipped OuT
October 15th, 2009, 02:52 AM

Everyone as in you.

Sashin
October 15th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I don't think Kubuntu is the best way to use KDE, they don't put much focus on it.

j.bell730
October 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM
No, you won't like it.

(Note, the above statement may or may not reflect my own opinion. It's just an answer to his question.)

amingv
October 15th, 2009, 03:50 AM
If you have a fast internet, I think it's better installing kde in Ubuntu than using kUbuntu .

Why?

mocoloco
October 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I don't think Kubuntu is the best way to use KDE, they don't put much focus on it.

Gotta agree, I've always seen problems with Kubuntu. I prefer Gnome, but for KDE I like Mandriva a lot. Haven't tried Karmic for Kubuntu though.

Viva
October 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM
How should I know?

Hehe, I was about to post this.

NormanFLinux
October 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I like Kubuntu Netbook Edition beta on my Dell Mini 10. Its low resource, familiar and still KDE!

WinterMadness
October 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
been using ubuntu for 2 years now. i like it for the most part, but never gave kde a chance before. anyone else make a switch from gnome to kde and like it?

I mostly use KDE (I use gnome on my netbook though)

KDE definitely has a lot on gnome in my opinion. Neither one is perfect though.

KDE is about a million times more ambitious, and you gotta respect that.

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I don't think Ubuntu is the best way to use Linux.

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I like KDE, but I don't like Kubuntu. I mean, Kubuntu is bearable but it's a horrible implementation of KDE in comparision to distributions like openSUSE, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS. I have yet to try PC-BSD, but I bet it also puts kubuntu to shame.

NormanFLinux
October 15th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Its not as complete but I can build up the desktop and now I have nearly everything I could need in KDE. It will just keep getting to be a better experience over time. Its made Linux easy to use for those who didn't care for the CLI.

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Its not as complete but I can build up the desktop and now I have nearly everything I could need in KDE. It will just keep getting to be a better experience over time. Its made Linux easy to use for those who didn't care for the CLI.
The CLi is what makes Linux so powerful. You can edit configuration files, restart services, load/unload kernel modules, add users, change file/directory permissions, backup system files, mount file systems, reboot the machine, compile a new kernel or program, add or remove programs, kill programs . . . . start programs. Windows users have a similar feature. It is called the power button. Reboot. I don't understand why people are so afraid of the command line. It is integral to the nature of Linux as an OS.

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 07:02 AM
The CLi is what makes Linux so powerful. You can edit configuration files, restart services, load/unload kernel modules, add users, change file/directory permissions, backup system files, mount file systems, reboot the machine, compile a new kernel or program, add or remove programs, kill programs . . . . start programs. Windows users have a similar feature. It is called the power button. Reboot. I don't understand why people are so afraid of the command line. It is integral to the nature of Linux as an OS.

Well, at the moment anyway, I hope that it gets pushed more and more into the background for general users as more and better GUI tools come along :)

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Well, at the moment anyway, I hope that it gets pushed more and more into the background for general users as more and better GUI tools come along :)
Linux is not for general users. It is intended for someone with above average intelligence.
These general users will always end up here, frantically posting a thread seeking help to one of their computer problems on their Linux machine, and someone like me will be helping them by asking them to type commands in the terminal and posting the output. 10 hours and 20 commands and a few command line configuration file tweaks later, they will be up and running, using their GUI again. Until they break something, and they have to find someone to tell them how to fix everything all over again.

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Linux is not for general users. It is intended for someone with above average intelligence.

That's a very elitist statement there. You do realize the current aim of many distributions is to make them friendly enough for the average user, don't you?
It has nothing to do with intelligence, but experience.
A person could be a fantastic mathematician but have no idea how to fix a hardware problem in Linux.

mocoloco
October 15th, 2009, 07:14 AM

While I respect your opinion and you can use your software for whatever you want, Linux is NOT for any one group, and can be (and has been) adapted to server scientists, school children, (computer illiterate) elderly, L33T1STS (such as yourself), physically and mentally handicapped (those whom I gather you might consider to have a "below average intelligence"), and so on.

I throw out your phrasing and replace it with "Linux is for whoever wants to use it." Incidentally Ubuntu's tagline "Linux for Human Beings" implies so called general users.

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
That's a very elitist statement there. You do realize the current aim of many distributions is to make them friendly enough for the average user, don't you?
It has nothing to do with intelligence, but experience.
A person could be a fantastic mathematician but have no idea how to fix a hardware problem in Linux.
Read my edited post.
If person who is a fantastic mathematician has no idea how to fix a problem in Linux, then he should purchase his machine with Linux pre-installed and pay for software support from his Linux dealer rather than expecting to be able to click the mouse a few times and resolve the problem.
When you have a fool-proof system that provides no learning curve or challenges, you also have lost your freedom to make choices about how to configure that system and what software to install on that system.
That is, and will always be, the difference between Linux and Windows -- freedom to choose. And with that freedom comes responsibility.

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Read my edited post.
If person who is a fantastic mathematician has no idea how to fix a problem in Linux, then he should purchase his machine with Linux pre-installed and pay for software support from his Linux dealer rather than expecting to be able to click the mouse a few times and resolve the problem.
When you have a fool-proof system that provides no learning curve or challenges, you also have lost your freedom to make choices about how to configure that system and what software to install on that system.
That is, and will always be, the difference between Linux and Windows -- freedom to choose. And with that freedom comes responsibility.

I don't think that's true. I think you could have a very friendly Linux-based operating system that still gives the user complete control if they desire it. There will always be admin tools, there will always be configuration files and there will always be the command prompt :)

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I don't think that's true. I think you could have a very friendly Linux-based operating system that still gives the user complete control if they desire it. There will always be admin tools, there will always be configuration files and there will always be the command prompt :)
I completely agree with you, so I do not know which part that you do not agree with. I do not think anyone should be discouraged from trying Linux.
But if the ability to control the system when necessary from the CLi, and as one sees fit, is taken away from power users, then we will basically have Windows or Mac OSX. You can't screw up your system, you can't change that, you can't install that, you can't click that . . .
Who wants an OS like that? I am all for screwing it up and playing around with it, if that is what floats your boat. It should be left up to the user. If the newbie user wants a "safe" DE, then there needs to be an install option for that. If the experimentalist wants the Beta DE that he can tweak and test, there needs to be an install option for that. If the power user wants the ability to make decisions about how to configure the hardware and software, there needs to be an install option for that. Everyone should have their choice. But what should not happen is a migration towards the vanilla Linux that can't be customized, tinkered with, or broken -- all for the benefit of the general user.

kellemes
October 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM
But what should not happen is a migration towards the vanilla Linux that can't be customized, tinkered with, or broken -- all for the benefit of the general user.

Welcome to the Ubuntu roadmap..

hoppipolla
October 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I completely agree with you, so I do not know which part that you do not agree with. I do not think anyone should be discouraged from trying Linux.
But if the ability to control the system when necessary from the CLi, and as one sees fit, is taken away from power users, then we will basically have Windows or Mac OSX. You can't screw up your system, you can't change that, you can't install that, you can't click that . . .
Who wants an OS like that? I am all for screwing it up and playing around with it, if that is what floats your boat. It should be left up to the user. If the newbie user wants a "safe" DE, then there needs to be an install option for that. If the experimentalist wants the Beta DE that he can tweak and test, there needs to be an install option for that. If the power user wants the ability to make decisions about how to configure the hardware and software, there needs to be an install option for that. Everyone should have their choice. But what should not happen is a migration towards the vanilla Linux that can't be customized, tinkered with, or broken -- all for the benefit of the general user.

No I don't think that will ever happen :)

It is quite easy to have the best of both camps - I mean OSX has BASH too doesn't it?

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu roadmap..
So true. It can be joyous yet painfully irritating at times.

ad_267
October 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I like KDE, but I don't like Kubuntu. I mean, Kubuntu is bearable but it's a horrible implementation of KDE in comparision to distributions like openSUSE, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS. I have yet to try PC-BSD, but I bet it also puts kubuntu to shame.

Everyone always says this, but I couldn't stand OpenSUSE, I much preferred Kubuntu 9.10. I felt that OpenSUSE just had way too many useless applications I didn't want. Perhaps I'm also too used to Ubuntu though and found Kubuntu more similar than SUSE. I haven't tried Mandriva or PCLinuxOS either to be fair.

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM

No I don't think that will ever happen :)

It is quite easy to have the best of both camps - I mean OSX has BASH too doesn't it?
Well which is it? LOL :P

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Gotcha!

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Everyone always says this, but I couldn't stand OpenSUSE, I much preferred Kubuntu 9.10. I felt that OpenSUSE just had way too many useless applications I didn't want. Perhaps I'm also too used to Ubuntu though and found Kubuntu more similar than SUSE. I haven't tried Mandriva or PCLinuxOS either to be fair.

What's not to like about openSUSE?

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM
SUSE is having sleeping with Microsoft. LOL.

matthew.ball
October 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
That's a fair leap.

Screwdriver0815
October 15th, 2009, 09:29 AM
stating my opinion to the question in the thread topic: no. If you want Kubuntu, use Jaunty with KDE 4.3.2 from the backports.

I wonder what Lucid Lynx will be... hopefully:

1. really a LTS, also for the Kubuntu version

2. less useless "features" and more focus on technical issues which sit there and wait to be sorted out since months

I'll have to make something like a "fallback" plan if Lucid Lynx will be no improvement over Karmic and the time has come that Jaunty will not be supported anymore. OpenSuse is the first in the row I think. If Novell sleeps with Microsoft doesn't any matter to me. Mark Shuttlerworth also said that Windows 7 is great... huh huuh ;) :D
Novell is a big player in the Linux world and they develop LOADS of things which are used in Ubuntu too.

regarding the CLI: my opinion is that the terminal belongs to Linux and it has to have its place in the system, as well as GUI-things.
To push the CLI in the background is not a good idea because it is the feature which makes the difference and which makes life easier, even for newbies.
Because as rb0171610 stated:

a newbie pops up in the forums and asks for help. Instead of asking him, which checkbox is enabled there, which hook is set in menu xy, and what is written in failure message abc, you ask him to type a command into the terminal and to post the output. So you as the supporter can be sure that the newbie does not do a mistake, because with "which checkbox... bla bla bla" it is always possible to overlook some settings.

To provide a solution, you tell him what to write into the terminal (copy-paste is great, following a "mouse-click-procedure" sucks). Done.
This is advanced.

GUI is ok, but in many many cases the CLI is better. Thats why it never should be pushed in the background.
And if a newbie is really interested in doing things, what prevents him from learning/ inform himself about the CLI-commands?
If he doesn't want to, okay, thats fine too.

ad_267
October 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Just my personal opinion. I didn't stick with it long so can't really give a fair comparison, but I preferred Kubuntu. The main thing that put me off was the huge number of graphical applications installed that I didn't want or need. Yes I know I could easily remove them, but there just wasn't anything that made it stand out as being better than Kubuntu to me, and the familiar Ubuntu base was a plus (yes not really fair, I know).

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Just my personal opinion. I didn't stick with it long so can't really give a fair comparison, but I preferred Kubuntu. The main thing that put me off was the huge number of graphical applications installed that I didn't want or need. Yes I know I could easily remove them, but there just wasn't anything that made it stand out as being better than Kubuntu to me, and the familiar Ubuntu base was a plus (yes not really fair, I know).
Which graphical applications? I... I can't comprehend this. I think .deb and synaptic have simplified things so much people aren't willing to give other distributions a fair chance. YaST2 + Zypper are amazing and on par with Synaptic and apt-get.(IMO)

Then again, if you like kubuntu and it works for you I won't stop you, but I think you should give openSUSE another chance, the 11.2 release is a good reason too anyway. :) I mean you don't have to but.. Kubuntu? :(

Sorry for semi-preaching now but it's just beyond me. openSUSE is miles ahead of Kubuntu and when it comes to bloat well, kubuntu probably wins in that department. Have you actually compared the applications installed on both systems by default? There really isn't too big a difference, except the fact that they are more tightly integrated into openSUSE.

In fact, now that I think about I can't think of a single advantage kubuntu has over openSUSE. Oh, except the debian repositories. But that's easily solved on openSUSE by enabling third party repos like packman if you want access to even more applications.

/rant

Screwdriver0815
October 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Which graphical applications? I... I can't comprehend this. I think .deb and synaptic have simplified things so much people aren't willing to give other distributions a fair chance. YaST2 + Zypper are amazing and on par with Synaptic and apt-get.(IMO)

Then again, if you like kubuntu and it works for you I won't stop you, but I think you should give openSUSE another chance, the 11.2 release is a good reason too anyway. :) I mean you don't have to but.. Kubuntu? :(

Sorry for semi-preaching now but it's just beyond me. openSUSE is miles ahead of Kubuntu and when it comes to bloat well, kubuntu probably wins in that department. Have you actually compared the applications installed on both systems by default? There really isn't too big a difference, except the fact that they are more tightly integrated into openSUSE.

In fact, now that I think about I can't think of a single advantage kubuntu has over openSUSE. Oh, except the debian repositories. But that's easily solved on openSUSE by enabling third party repos like packman if you want access to even more applications.

/rant
so do you actually use OpenSuse right now? Can I ask you some questions about it (mainly 11.2) as I am preparing for the switch from Kubuntu?

this would be great...

ad_267
October 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Ha, I probably should have just kept my mouth shut as I haven't really used it enough to give it a proper go. Perhaps I will give it another chance though.

I can't really say what applications in particular as it was a while ago that I tried it, I just remember having to search through a lot of applications in the menus. Now that I think about it, I think I was also using a build of OpenSUSE with KDE 4.3 that wasn't an official release so perhaps it also had extra packages installed. Doh, stupid me.

The point I was trying to make wasn't really about SUSE though, rather that I don't think Kubuntu is as bad as everyone makes out, especially with the improvements in 9.10. Hmm, yeah reading my post again that's not really what I said though.

RichardLinx
October 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
so do you actually use OpenSuse right now? Can I ask you some questions about it (mainly 11.2) as I am preparing for the switch from Kubuntu?

this would be great...

No, I don't currently have it installed as a main OS because of some partitioning issues (It hates Ubuntu even though I've set aside a nice root partition and swap for it), bandwidth issues (I can't download updates right now because I'm on a shared connection with an additional four people), and because I've decided to give Ubuntu + GNOME a fair trial.

All in all after nearly a month of use I still think openSUSE is superior but since new distributions of both OS's are on the verge of release I'm considering waiting a little longer to re-install openSUSE and wipe (or significantly decrease) my Ubuntu partition. Most likely though I will be installing openSUSE (11.1) again as soon as my bandwidth limit is reset.

But I do have openSUSE 11.1 installed in a VM (Not updated though :( )

And sure, feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Screwdriver0815
October 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
No, I don't currently have it installed as a main OS because of some partitioning issues (It hates Ubuntu even though I've set aside a nice root partition and swap for it), bandwidth issues (I can't download updates right now because I'm on a shared connection with an additional four people), and because I've decided to give Ubuntu + GNOME a fair trial.

All in all after nearly a month of use I still think openSUSE is superior but since new distributions of both OS's are on the verge of release I'm considering waiting a little longer to re-install openSUSE and wipe (or significantly decrease) my Ubuntu partition. Most likely though I will be installing openSUSE (11.1) again as soon as my bandwidth limit is reset.

But I do have openSUSE 11.1 installed in a VM (Not updated though :( )

And sure, feel free to ask me any questions. :)
Okay, thanks! I'll pm you if this is okay, as I don't want to hijack this thread.

Exodist
October 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
How should I know?

+1

At the OP, try it.... Then tell us if you do.
I do , but thats me..

rb0171610
October 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
been using ubuntu for 2 years now. I like it for the most part, but never gave kde a chance before. anyone else make a switch from gnome to kde and like it?
To directly answer your question:
Yes, I made the switch from Gnome to KDE. I like it. I was a KDE 3.x user for years. When KDE 4.0 came out in January of 2008, I HATED it. I didn't understand it. It was missing soooo many features. It was rough to say the least. I switched Gnome as my preferred DE for the first time in my life. KDE 4.0:
[IMG]http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/screenshots/desktop.jpg

Now, they have fixed a lot of those issues in KDE 4.3 and I have migrated back. I think you should give it a try. You might actually like it.

Rogue dog
October 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM

But that leaves too many gtk packages installed, way too many and that's not right, not one bit.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well which is it? LOL :P

hey! I said it would get PUSHED INTO THE BACKGROUND, not removed completely! lol

The thing is, as long as the command line and admin tools are still there which I can't see why they ever wouldn't be, we will always have just as much control over good ol' Linux as we have always had ^_^

SUSE is having sleeping with Microsoft. LOL.

rofl! What implies that? O.O lol

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
To directly answer your question:
Yes, I made the switch from Gnome to KDE. I like it. I was a KDE 3.x user for years. When KDE 4.0 came out in January of 2008, I HATED it. I didn't understand it. It was missing soooo many features. It was rough to say the least. I switched Gnome as my preferred DE for the first time in my life. KDE 4.0:
<not posting that image twice! lol>

Now, they have fixed a lot of those issues in KDE 4.3 and I have migrated back. I think you should give it a try. You might actually like it.

Totally man I agree. To be honest I don't think I used KDE 4.0 that much but I can't even remember why, maybe I was on Gnome at that point maybe I'd stumbled back to Windows, but I just remember playing with it for a while and then laughing at it's bugs a bit and now firmly coming back to it for 4.3.2.

It's a shame that they didn't declare more that 4.0-2 weren't really READY as such, as it put a lot of people off and I guess on some level I always knew it was going to improve a lot after 4.0 - I mean there was so little to it at that point and it crashed every 5 seconds! Now that I think about it I was even on the 4.0 beta for a while O.O

Anyway I'm digressing...

KDE rocks ^_^

ad_267
October 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
But that leaves too many gtk packages installed, way too many and that's not right, not one bit.

Yeah I've done it both ways, it's much better installing Kubuntu by itself rather than kubuntu-desktop on top of Ubuntu.

BigCityCat
October 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Too me KDE is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. Ubuntu is different and fresh.

Jesus_Valdez
October 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Too me KDE is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. Gnome is different and fresh.

FTFY

rb0171610
October 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
too me kde is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. gnome is different and fresh.

Ftfy
+1

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Too me KDE is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. Ubuntu is different and fresh.

dolphin and shark , both have similar look . But one is mammal and the other one is fish . Both of them shares some features that enable them to live well in water

Gnome is more like windows. The proofs are :
. 1 Double click to open , single click to select
2. Right click on desktop to change the theme
3. File manager manages the desktop .
4. While dragging and dropping , it won't ask you what to do . It just copy or move

RiceMonster
October 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Too me KDE is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. Gnome is different and fresh.

FTFY

Maybe if you judge it by the default panel layout it is.

amingv
October 16th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Too me KDE is so much like windows as far as the interface goes that it feels like the same ol same ol. gnome is different and fresh.

Yes, it has been this different and fresh since around 2002. :)

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yes, it has been this different and fresh since around 2002. :)

heh, I think there is a point here though, which is that some new users do like Ubuntu because it provides them with a refreshing change, in Gnome and in things like the default appearance, style and colour scheme.

However, let's not forget that you can make KDE look like whatever you want too, and I don't think the number of users moving to Ubuntu for this reason (relative at least to the untapped users who don't yet want to move to Ubuntu) is great enough for this to be a reason not to change things or use KDE.

Did that make sense? xD There is logic in there :)

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I switched yesterday and I'm loving it.

First I started installing the minimum packages over Ubuntu and launching plasma-desktop over gnome (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291048). The experience was so good that I decided to switch completely.

I did an install of Kubuntu Karmic, but the experience wasn't good. So I did this:

1) installed the command line only version of Ubuntu from the alternate CD and rebooted
2) installed xorg, kdm, kde-minimal and kdeplasma-addon from the terminal
3) restarted kdm with sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart to login into the graphical desktop environment and then installed just the applications I need and like, no matter if they are for KDE or Gnome.

So far, it's amazing. I must thank Gnome developers for designing gnome-shell the way it is, otherwise I wouldn't make an effort to switch :)

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I must thank Gnome developers for designing gnome-shell the way it is, otherwise I wouldn't make an effort to switch :)

hahaha .

Did you try kpackagekit ? How's it?

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
60 th post

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
hahaha .

Did you try kpackagekit ? How's it?

It's good. Pretty fast searching, although it lacks some advanced features. I still use Synaptic tho.

rb0171610
October 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
It's good. Pretty fast searching, although it lacks some advanced features. I still use Synaptic tho.
+1 for synaptic, it's apt-get with a nice face and a great body.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
+1 for synaptic, it's apt-get with a nice face and a great body.

ok get a room! xD

:)

rb0171610
October 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
ok get a room! xD

:)

:---)

BigCityCat
October 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
heh, I think there is a point here though, which is that some new users do like Ubuntu because it provides them with a refreshing change, in Gnome and in things like the default appearance, style and colour scheme.

However, let's not forget that you can make KDE look like whatever you want too, and I don't think the number of users moving to Ubuntu for this reason (relative at least to the untapped users who don't yet want to move to Ubuntu) is great enough for this to be a reason not to change things or use KDE.

Did that make sense? xD There is logic in there :)

Yes that is why I said " To Me" but I guess they missed that part.

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
suppose I manually did dpkg -i --force * And got some dependancies broken. Can the kpackage kit resolve the problem ? Is it an advanced feature that the kpackagekit missing .

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
suppose I manually did dpkg -i --force * And got some dependancies broken. Can the kpackage kit resolve the problem ? Is it an advanced feature that the kpackagekit missing .

If it has the same package capabilities as Synaptic it could... I dunno o.O

It's getting better though and it's wonderfully integrated into the KDE desktop :)

When it gets just a tad more TLC, it will be awesome :)