PDA

View Full Version : Which feed reader (Feed Aggregator) you are using?

legolas_w
October 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hi
I am wondering what is the dominant feed reader between Ubuntu users.
Please let us know how you come to the conclusion that your selected feeds aggregator is better.

Thanks

chriskin
October 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
i use liferea but it seems that it has a minor bug that shows read feeds as new ones
otherwise it has a clean interface , yet has all (or most) of what one would expect of a feed reader

donato roque
October 15th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I was using liferea and I find the freezes disconcerting.
I tried Blam and Straw and they are both in the repositories.

In the end I have settled on incorporating feed reading with email. I downloaded rss-evolution, a plugin feed reader for Evolution Mail. I only have to open one application to read my emails and my feeds. My only problem now is which one to do first. :)

coldReactive
October 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Google Reader.

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I use Liferea.

I was using liferea and I find the freezes disconcerting.

That's a known issue with the version in Jaunty https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/liferea/+bug/290666

Try the one from the Liferea PPA. It's much newer and doesn't have that freezing problem.

Knowle
October 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Google Reader

bornagainpenguin
October 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm a big fan of Straw despite it being unable to group feeds or allow them to be manually sorted beyond alphabetically. I'm really impressed by its ability to do offline display of feeds including images--which is what defines the offline nature of a feed reader. So far as I know there are no other feed readers in Linux that offer true offline feed reading, I've searched and searched and Straw seems to be entirely alone in the Linux world in offering this feature.

Moreover in my search I constantly came across rival applications that claim to offer such and when put to the test failed to deliver, with developers going so far as to bald faced lie that simple text retrieval counts as such. In this day and age with various picture blogs offering feeds, webcomics offering feeds, etc etc to pretend text alone is offline feed reading is disingenuous to say the least. Straw stands alone in the Linux world in delivering feeds with complete text and images for offline reading. It's quite a boon for someone on the go who can't always count on there being a WiFi connection at all times.

Unfortunately some changes in the make up of the underlying systems in Ubuntu have caused Straw to no longer work upon the release of Jaunty and it has been removed from the repositories of Karmic which is due out in any day or so. I currently run Hardy Heron 8.04.3 which still allows Straw to provide me with my feeds, but how much longer I'll be able to stick with the LTS version is unknown. I am constantly seeking a replacement to it but without true offline most feed readers are useless to me.

--bornagainpenguin