PDA

View Full Version : How much power........

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Would a netbook use, with an adapter using roughly 36 watts, running and........ serving........ for about 1 month? What would you say? How much would it cost....?

Paqman
October 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I don't think a netbook would draw 36W constantly, but if it did it would eat about 26 kWh of electricity. In the UK that would cost you about £3 per month (at 12p/kWh)

You'd have to check your power bills to see what your supplier charges per unit.

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I mean, while it's running. I'm planning to see if I can get a month of uptime.

lukeiamyourfather
October 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I mean, while it's running. I'm planning to see if I can get a month of uptime.

That's what was posted. Assuming the system used 36 watts non-stop it'd cost a few bucks a month. Most places in the US are about $0.15 per kilowatt hour, which would be about $4 for a month. Chances are it won't use the full power all the time and will cost even less. Or do you mean something else?

Paqman
October 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Chances are it won't use the full power all the time and will cost even less.

My Celeron laptop never goes over about 20W even when it's at full hardcore, so 36W for a little netbook seems pretty high.

Warpnow
October 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I guess you didn't trust my calculation in the best server distro thread a couple days ago?

It was accurate, by the way. :-p

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I was assuming you were assuming I was using ARM. Which conserves power. I need a netbook with that.

Warpnow
October 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I was assuming you were assuming I was using ARM. Which conserves power. I need a netbook with that.

The ARM A9s aren't out yet. The A8s are rather weak. Wait for the A9s, with a very power efficient psu, it could be a quite nice little server. Will be rated at 2ghz and dual core, and consume roughly the same power as the atom.

Warpnow
October 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
My chromium doesn't like edits, so I'm forced to make a new post, annoying, but meh.

36 watts, 720 hours in a month, the MAXIMUM power your server could ever use is 25.92 kwhs, given its incapable of drawing more power without some kind of flaw in the design that would likely turn it into a toaster.

Figure out how much you pay per kwh. Multiple that number by 25.92, that's the max it can use. Here, I pay .089, so $2.31 is the max it can cost. You could pay higher, though, but likely less than double no matter where you live.

Vostrocity
October 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Warpnow's math seems right, though that's surprisingly cheap.

But I was wondering how you are going use a netbook as a server if they only use pokey 2.5" HDDs and don't have Firewire or eSATA.

dragos240
October 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I ran it as a server for a week, it ran beautifully. I ran a forum, a SSH server, and a small FTP server. All ran very fast. Instant response.