PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Network disconnected during Update : Ubuntu Corrupt/Crash

madmax.santana
October 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I was downloading updates from the internet when my network suddenly got disconnected. After that I restarted my system and found that nothing was working.
Sound = Gone.
apt-get upgrade = Not Working
Any Application Started = System Crashed

And it was a lot of havoc with my system! I re-formatted it and re-installed it... Luckily I did not have any important data stored so no loss was faced...

I just want to ask tow questions.
- Why did it happen? And how to avoid this?
- After anything like that happens, is there any way I can restore my Ubuntu system without any data loss to the exact same configuration?

raymondh
October 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Madmax.Santana,

Couple of tips:

- I use PING (http://ping.windowsdream.com/)to clone my HD (or partition). That way if it crashes, I have a clone as back-up.
- Separate your /home from root (/). That allows you to re-install over root (/) alone whilst keeping your /home intact (which, BTW, contains your config files, settings, etc.)

Sorry for the "havoc". I have experienced such once and it ain't fun.

Regards,

madmax.santana
October 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hay Raymond! Thanks buddy! Thanks a lot... It's really nice someone helping me out...
You see I am absolutely new to Linux and I have been facing too much problems with Jaunty and my laptop (HP HDX)... I have posted quite a lot in the forum and have rarely been helped out... It's really great on your part...
I'll take care next time and make sure to remember your tips... Thanks a lot...

raymondh
October 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
You're welcome and happy ubuntu-ing :)