PDA

View Full Version : World of Goo any price!

Vostrocity
October 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
EDIT2: Promo ends by today, 19 Oct 09.
EDIT3: Extended through 25 Oct 09.

World of Goo is an innovative puzzle game. It's one of the most-acclaimed games this year (A on 1UP, 9.5/10 Editors' Choice on IGN, 9/10 Editors' Choice on GameSpot), summarized by GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/puzzle/worldofgoo/review.html?part=rss&subj=6200436) as "Innovative, addictive, and delightfully weird, World of Goo is a superb puzzle game." The developers were nice enough to port it to Linux, making it one of the few commercial games on Linux. It normally sells for $14 (http://www.amazon.com/World-Goo-Mac/dp/B001ENOVP2) at Amazon. Incidentally, this week is the game's 1st birthday, and the developers have a promotion where you "pay whatever you think it's worth" (literally anything, even $0.01, but you might want to pay more just to be nice). I'm not related to them at all, but just thought I should share a deal and promote a developer who's willing to make something for Linux. :)

EDIT: Idiot me forgot to give the link.. http://2dboy.com/games.php

CJ Master
October 14th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Too awesome, already bought the game, but I may donate $5 and give it out to my friends as a gift (since $5 would technically net me 500 copies of it. ;) )

It's a really awesome game, and they even support linux with it, so please give it a try, guys. :)

Ms_Angel_D
October 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Hey thanks, I Just downloaded the game and (donated $20.00) I must say I really enjoy it, it's a fun game :D

NoaHall
October 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
One question - how the hell do you turn off the annoying sound?

Never mind - worked it out. Good game, but lacks a decent menu or terminal options.

CJ Master
October 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Never mind - worked it out. Good game, but lacks a decent menu.

Huh? The menu is segmented into worlds and then if you click on a world you see the levels... I'm really not sure how it's not decent. >>

Mehall
October 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I emplore anyone reading this and thinking about getting it:

Please donate at least $5, it's far too good a game not to.

You get all the installers (.exe .dmg .deb .rpm and even .tar.gz) and they are not DRMd, so you can use them as much as you like.

I work in a games shop, and could have got it cheap after discount, as we stock it, but I chose to donate directly to them to ensure they got all the money.

I swear, best puzzle game since Lemmings, and maybe even ever.

days_of_ruin
October 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Nice, I bought this game right after the linux version came out.

Vostrocity
October 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Alright, now that I've had the time to actually play the game a bit, I agree it's a really fun game. The graphics and and sound are nice, and it's the smoothest-running game I've ever seen. I'm only on Impale Sticky, but I have no need to rush through the game. Also has anyone been able to go online in the World of Goo Corporation? It tells me unable to connect for some reason, I'll try switching to ethernet when I get the chance.

Ms_Angel_D
October 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Alright, now that I've had the time to actually play the game a bit, I agree it's a really fun game. The graphics and and sound are nice, and it's the smoothest-running game I've ever seen. I'm only on Impale Sticky, but I have no need to rush through the game. Also has anyone been able to go online in the World of Goo Corporation? It tells me unable to connect for some reason, I'll try switching to ethernet when I get the chance.

I can't seem to connect either I'm not sure what the problem is, I'm on a wired connection myself.

Perfect Storm
October 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
It can be thhe preasure on their servers at the moment. It seems the word of it have spread like fire.

madjr
October 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
i can only afford from $5 to $10 :(

common people how much did or will you donate?

It's your Chance! lets show em that there's a nice market for indie games on linux, even if you give just $5

Keep the thread rolling till final day: Oct 19

:guitar:

Milos_SD
October 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I would buy it, but my country is not listed in there. I hate paypal. :(

aidanr
October 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
$5 here. Amazing game, and runs perfectly on my eee 901 :)

madjr
October 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I would buy it, but my country is not listed in there. I hate paypal. :(

you don't need to create a paypal account

you can pay for it just like a normal credit card purchase

http://2dboy.com/sneakyPaypal.gif

http://2dboy.com/games.php

also if you use another form of electronic payment you could email them about it, but u have to hurry 3 days left :o

earthpigg
October 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
god i love that company.

meho_r
October 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Nice. A big "thank you" to OP for letting us know :D

kavon89
October 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I must be a jerk because I donated $0.01

aaaantoine
October 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I think I'll just use this opportunity to demo it for cheap, so I can see about getting it on the Wii instead.

days_of_ruin
October 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM

:lolflag:

madjr
October 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM

yea some will test 0.01... :/ (is it even allowed on paypal?)

boo, but you could donate again and send as a gift to a family or friend, but make it atleast a buck :P

would be sad if they made public the figures and tagged the linux users as horribly cheap creatures

CJ Master
October 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
would be sad if they made public the figures and tagged the linux users as horribly cheap creatures

Linux users do seem to expect everything they get to be free.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
You can't tell what OS you bought it for - it gives you a download link to all of them ;) Of course, I downloaded all of them.

NCLI
October 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Actually, your browser identifies itself and the operating system you're using to every website you visit. So, technically, they could find out.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Ehm, you think I don't know that? But they DIDN'T do it that way, so you're posting a invalid point.

CJ Master
October 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Ehm, you think I don't know that? But they DIDN'T do it that way, so you're posting a invalid point.

They didn't? Any proof?

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
They didn't set up the downloads like that. So that suggests they didn't.

Oh, and I thought he was just referring to the download page - not recording what OS you are using for graphs and figures after.

I really doubt they have done that.

madjr
October 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM

i do pay for stuff or donate if i can

basically they're asking for a donation (God knows am incredibly broke atm with tons of bills and layed off months ago :(, but would never go the route of $0.01 :/)

sertse
October 16th, 2009, 11:24 PM
This is worthy of everyone knowing. I've donated. :)

days_of_ruin
October 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Even worse, all Linux users generalize all the time.

Occasionally Correct
October 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Just got my copy. My nephew will enjoy it (so will I). :)

Old Marcus
October 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
A quick search on The Pirate Bay shows the pirates hard at work ripping 2D Boy off. :(

It seems that no matter what you do, unless what you give is 100% free, people will pirate it. Still, I paid $5.00 which equates to £3.14, which is as much as I would spend on a pasty and chocolate, so win/win!

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yep. Stupid pirates. People even try to 'pirate' Linux. Even though it's already free.

wirepuller134
October 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM
We bought a few copies, first time I have seen it. It's very well worth what they normally ask for it.

NovaAesa
October 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I got it for 10USD! (haven't played it yet though, I will get around to it once my assignment is done!)

CJ Master
October 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Good thing I'm not a Linux user. ;)

Vostrocity
October 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM
It's your Chance! lets show em that there's a nice market for indie games on linux, even if you give just $5

Keep the thread rolling till final day: Oct 19
[/B][/SIZE]

:guitar:
+1

Nice. A big "thank you" to OP for letting us know :D
And thank you guys for the positive response.

I'm pretty sure any legit website would be running traffic analysis, and any old analysis software can tell your traffic's browser ID and such. For example I have Google Analytics on my very small blog (like 5 hits a day lol), and this is what it shows.

Operating System contribution to total:
Linux
130 72.63%
Windows
36 20.11%
Macintosh
10 5.59%
iPhone
2 1.12%
(not set)
1 0.56%
It doesn't discount my own hits which is partially why there's such a big Linux %.

:lolflag:

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM
You don't need any external tools at all for telling how many people using which OS have visited your site.

If you check my post after that, I corrected myself in what I meant.

Vostrocity
October 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
You don't need any external tools at all for telling how many people using which OS have visited your site.

If you check my post after that, I corrected myself in what I meant.
Oh I see what you meant, sorry. :)

sudoer541
October 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I had the demo and it was awesome.
Is this available in retail stores (boxed)?
How do you buy this game?

MaxIBoy
October 17th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I donated $15 for it. Not my kinda game but I want to encourage Linux game development.

Vostrocity
October 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I had the demo and it was awesome.
Is this available in retail stores (boxed)?
How do you buy this game?
The boxed version seems to only be for Windows and Mac. You just need give them any amount of money via PayPal or cc and they'll send you a download link.

Matthewthegreat
October 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Really? So, your saying Linux users are the same as window users except Linux users get their software legally? ;)

CJ Master
October 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Really? So, your saying Linux users are the same as window users except Linux users get their software legally? ;)

Truth be told, I don't know a single person IRL that pirates, and they all use Windows.

M4rotku
October 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hey, I can't seem to install it. I keep getting the following message:

Could not open "WorldOfGoo...
The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

I checked the permissions and they seem fine.

Any advice?

Perfect Storm
October 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hey, I can't seem to install it. I keep getting the following message:

I checked the permissions and they seem fine.

Any advice?

re-download. It may be corrupted.

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Have you finished downloading it first?

M4rotku
October 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I re-downloaded it and waited for it to finish.

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM
And same error? Are you download the deb? or the tar.gz?

M4rotku
October 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm downloading the .deb

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
And this happens when you double click it? Try downloading with a different browser, or wait for their servers to be used less.

MaxIBoy
October 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I'm downloading the .deb
I also had problems with the .deb (running Debian Sid,) and I think it was the same error.

However, the tarball worked fine, I extracted it and put the game in /usr/local/games/WorldOfGoo. The game is unlikely to get its own third-party Apt repository anyway so the benefits of using the Debian package are more limited.

Vostrocity
October 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I also had that problem with the deb. All I did was download it a second time and it worked perfectly.

MellonCollie
October 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
The 'Pay whatever you think it's worth' deal has been extended to the 25th.

This makes for interesting reading: http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

Vostrocity
October 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Oh thanks for the update. So two more days, people. Go get it.

mamamia88
October 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
sweet thanks i already bought it on wii so got it for a penny on pc which is better

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
sweet thanks i already bought it on wii so got it for a penny on pc which is better

You do realize that everybody's actually losing money if you pay for a cent? I'm sure they'd rather someone pirate it.

mamamia88
October 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
You do realize that everybody's actually losing money if you pay for a cent? I'm sure they'd rather someone pirate it.

how are they losing money? the development cost of the game is done. there is no packaging. the data is just sitting on a server anyway so there is no reproduction cost i don't get it. besides wasn't even going to buy it but would rather play with keyboard and mouse than lame wii mote so bought it again

Paqman
October 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
how are they losing money?

Read the link. Short version: Paypal fees.

JoshuaRL
October 24th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Read the link. Short version: Paypal fees.

Exactly, if anyone pays less than $0.30 for the game, they lose money.

I wonder if releasing that info will change the average payment.

collinp
October 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM
World of Goo is utterly awesome.

Would pay over $30 for it.

CJ Master
October 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM
World of Goo is utterly awesome.

Would pay over $30 for it.

Did you? ;)

madjr
October 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Exactly, if anyone pays less than $0.30 for the game, they lose money.

I wonder if releasing that info will change the average payment.

actually paypal doesn't debit them instead is like typing zero , so it sucks anyway :/

but some people actually donated up to 50 (probably after seeing that over 16,000 payed just a few cents...)

http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

at least in mind share the initiative was a success ^^

hopefully next time they'll set a minimun price like a buck

HappinessNow
October 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
EDIT2: Promo ends by today, 19 Oct 09.
EDIT3: Extended through 25 Oct 09.

World of Goo is an innovative puzzle game. It's one of the most-acclaimed games this year (A on 1UP, 9.5/10 Editors' Choice on IGN, 9/10 Editors' Choice on GameSpot), summarized by GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/puzzle/worldofgoo/review.html?part=rss&subj=6200436) as "Innovative, addictive, and delightfully weird, World of Goo is a superb puzzle game." The developers were nice enough to port it to Linux, making it one of the few commercial games on Linux. It normally sells for $14 (http://www.amazon.com/World-Goo-Mac/dp/B001ENOVP2) at Amazon. Incidentally, this week is the game's 1st birthday, and the developers have a promotion where you "pay whatever you think it's worth" (literally anything, even $0.01, but you might want to pay more just to be nice). I'm not related to them at all, but just thought I should share a deal and promote a developer who's willing to make something for Linux. :)

EDIT: Idiot me forgot to give the link.. http://2dboy.com/games.phpThanks for the post. Donated and downloading now.

HappinessNow
October 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
btw this is a great game! anyway to install it on a USB stick

Vostrocity
October 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Reviving this thread again. Though the promotion is officially over, 2D Boy just released more detailed data, including average price by OS! Guess what?! Linux users totally beat out Mac and PC in generosity. Here's the link: http://2dboy.com/2009/10/26/pay-what-you-want-birthday-sale-wrap-up/comment-page-1/

:D

BigSilly
October 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Reviving this thread again. Though the promotion is officially over, 2D Boy just released more detailed data, including average price by OS! Guess what?! Linux users totally beat out Mac and PC in generosity. Here's the link: http://2dboy.com/2009/10/26/pay-what-you-want-birthday-sale-wrap-up/comment-page-1/

Hopefully this finally puts to bed the idea that Linux users would be more likely to pirate something as opposed to users of other OS's because we're used to things for free.

It's a stupid idea. :mad:

I bought it a while ago now at the £14 asking price. Lovely game, great fun, and a smashing port. Well done 2D Boy! :)

Ric_NYC
October 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the update.
Surprising! It changes some "myths".