PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What kind of theme do i need?

random turnip
October 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I noticed people talk about different sorts of themes for Gnome. I was wondering what kind of theme i need just to change everything, like the color of the tool bars, the window decorations...
As you can tell, i really know nothing about themes, i've just been using human since i got Ubuntu, but i fancy a change.

I was going to use Gnome Look to find it, but last time i tried to install a theme, dragging and dropping the file into the theme manager window didn't do anything, just said that it was an invalid theme, what am i doing wrong.

I basically want a really quick crash course on how i go about installing a theme.
also, will this lose my compiz fusion settings?

marshmallow1304
October 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I was going to use Gnome Look to find it, but last time i tried to install a theme, dragging and dropping the file into the theme manager window didn't do anything, just said that it was an invalid theme, what am i doing wrong.

That means that whoever made the theme didn't (properly) make it so that Ubuntu can auto-install. Not all the theme makers use Ubuntu :).

I basically want a really quick crash course on how i go about installing a theme.

If drag-and-drop doesn't work, look for a readme file or instructions on the gnome-look page. Themes (at least those installed through the theme manager) will not affect compiz settings.

stalkier
October 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I noticed people talk about different sorts of themes for Gnome. I was wondering what kind of theme i need just to change everything, like the color of the tool bars, the window decorations...
As you can tell, i really know nothing about themes, i've just been using human since i got Ubuntu, but i fancy a change.

In Home hit CTRL+H and then goto .themes. unzip the theme from zip or whatever format into a theme named folder (ex. vista_theme). It will then show in Preferences - Appearance - Themes Tab

Xalor
October 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well sometimes they don't archive it the way the theme manager in ubuntu works, and also make sure its gtk/metacity if you haven't changed it to emerald, some themes aren't archived right.

Which theme are you talking about here anyway?

There's a couple of popular ones that are annoying archived so that you have to extract and re-archive it in the way it wants.