PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Desktop Vs. Server

Wacas
October 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am a nearly total noob in Linux, that knows some of the basics, but never had any real practical experience working with Linux/Unix systems. So now I am facing a choice between Desktop and Server versions of Ubuntu. Eventually I want to try to set up an Apache web server with the support for PHP and Java. From the descriptions I've read so far I figured that Desktop edition is more like regular office machine, with GUI web browsing, text and image editing e t. c., and Server is no-GUI version with lots of useful specialized server features. Seems like Server edition is what I will need eventually, but is it really much harder for newbie person to get used to it, comparing to Desktop? Does it make any sense for me to go for Desktop edition for now to get more comfortable with the environment, and than switch to Server later? Sorry for newbie question, and thanks in advance for answering. :)

LowSky
October 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
the "desktop" edition will do everything you want.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

The server edition can have the GUi installed on it with a simeple command

sudo apt0get install ubuntu-desktop

XCan
October 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I agree with LowSky. Use Desktop edition, you can still install all the server apps you want. Conversely, you can also install all the desktop apps you want on the server edition.

doas777
October 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM
there is really very little different between the versions except the desktop itself and the applications that rest on it. under the hood they are basically identical.