PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Mythbuntu hangs before GParted

joarctic
October 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
After good experiences setting up Mythbuntu & Ubuntu on "scrapyard" tin, I recently had massive installation problems with Aopen Pentium M motherboard.

I depend heavily on forums like this to solve my daily newbie challenges so wanted to post this for others with similar issues.

Whatever version of linux I used it would boot into the installation screen but hang at the Ubuntu/Mythbuntu splash before getting to the partitioning page. Suspected onboard SATA FakeRAID (Promise chipset) so tried an IDE disk instead, tried burning new CD & DVD of different Ubuntu/Myth/Knoppix/Fedora versions all to no avail. Disabled virtually everything on the motherboard but still no luck.
:confused:
Then took delivery of my Ebay purchased Nvidia 5200 card, put it in the AGP slot, put in a disk & all the problems magically disappeared. Mythbuntu installed perfectly first time.
\\:D/
As to why/how this made any difference will likely remain a mystery, but I'm posting it here because it might work for someone else.

Now have to go through the joy of LIRC & getting the right Nvidia drivers installed, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.