PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to increase size of partition

vksingh
October 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I am install Ubuntu with giving / home to be 20 GB. I am working on it. But, now the size is insufficient, so I attached another hard disk and I want to increase the size of /home .

Please help............:(

dstew
October 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you attached another hard disk, what you probably want to do is create a new /home partition on the new disk. That is fairly simple. You create and format the new partition, copy your files over to it, then edit the /etc/fstab file to mount the new /home partition at boot time. Here is a How-To for creating a new /home partition (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome). The How-To creates a new partiton on the same disk, but you can use a different disk if you want.

It is possible to combine two different physical partitions on two different disks into a single logical partition, if you want to try that instead. You would use the technique of logical volume management (LVM) to do it. However, that is an advanced technique, and I don't think Ubuntu provides a simple way of doing it, other than re-installing from an Alternate Install CD.