PDA

View Full Version : Its almost 20 mins and IE8 is still installing

amitabhishek
October 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Don't get me wrong!!!I have this office system on which I have to install IE8 because of some proprietary stuff that needs only IE browsers. Even after disabling "download updates" this thing is taking forever. I don't know what's going on under the hood. Though NAV (another bloatware) has sounded a few alarms. I remember FF3.5 taking less than a minute.

Phew!!!!:confused:

Edit: Two and a half restarts later its done.Yay!

murderslastcrow
October 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Well, I'm sorry to say Microsoft products aren't known for their efficiency, especially when you go down a non-conventional path to use/update them. I wish you the best of luck with your current dependence. I'm sure we all share the same sentiment that the sooner you can manage without those systems the better.

ZuLuuuuuu
October 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
3 things come to my mind regarding my frustration with IE upgrades:

1) It locks your computer, you cannot do anything while it is being installed. You have to watch it or go do some other job in the mean time.

2) There is no progress bar. So you don't know whether it is being installed or it is stuck or when it will be over (10 seconds? 10 minutes? Maybe 10 hours?).

3) It really is slow. I know IE is an integrated part of the OS so don't expect to take it like FF but it takes almost as long as installing Ubuntu from scratch.

And don't need to say there were a lot of restarts as with almost all Microsoft stuff... These were my observations about IE6 -> IE7 upgrade. I don't know if they addressed these issues for IE7 -> IE8 upgrade.

amitabhishek
October 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Already done with two restarts...looks like its finally customizing something...what a Hogware!!!!???:-x. I swear if it wasn't with Windows no one would have touched this cheap piece of @@@@.

madjr
October 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
probably the only good news i heard of is that you can run Google's chrome frame on it and basically turn it somewhat into chrome

:)

yeah IE is basically dead

anyway has anyone using IE6 already got the "scram!" message from youtube?

Jackelope
October 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I had to upgrade IE7 to IE8 on my coworkers computer (because my office banned firefox, and IE7 is worse than 8), and it took 20 minutes too. What on earth could it be doing with all that time? It's not even a fresh install, just an update. Bloatware at its finest.

Tristam Green
October 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That's why I install the base program first, and let WSUS take care of the rest.