PDA

View Full Version : Computer shipping

madtyper
October 14th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hi...
I doubt this is light-hearted chat ... but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. Does anyone know, when you're shipping a computer, do you need anti-static wrap? I've been searching online and some places say yeah, some no... I'm trying to ship my LCD and tower.

Thanks

Also ... I'll be shipping a laptop.

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I don't see why you would if you are not opening your computer. I've had many mailed to me without and never had a problem.

HappyFeet
October 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
No, you don't need it.

amingv
October 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
If you're shipping the computer as a whole (I.E. Sensitive parts such as motherboard and RAM are not loose) and the packaging is not prone to building up static (I.E. cardboard) then there should be no need.
Edit:
Heck even if you're shipping it in a plastic bag there should be no need.

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 03:34 AM
If you're shipping the computer as a whole (I.E. Sensitive parts such as motherboard and RAM are not loose) and the packaging is not prone to building up static (I.E. cardboard) then there should be no need.
Edit:
Heck even if you're shipping it in a plastic bag there should be no need.

Of course, if you're using wool and copper foil, you might have a problem.

pme 72
October 14th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I read a recommendation to insert a blank diskette in the diskette drive whenever shipping. I never seem to remember though. If I can find a plastic bag big enough I try to wrap the pc. I have seen boxes get wet.

Always include addresses both to and from and phone numbers on an easy to find piece of paper inside the box. It took several weeks to recover a laptop from DHL once when the label got pulled off the box in transit. The sender did not have any identification inside the box. Keep a record of the serial number, DHL needed that to verify the owner. I was glad to see how cautious DHL was about releasing the laptop.

madtyper
October 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks all. I guess that makes sense -- the case blocks any static ... I sort of imagined a static field eating at the circuitry. Too many Matrix reruns?

lisati
October 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Maybe bubble-wrap to help protect it in the unlikely event of it being knocked about?