PDA

View Full Version : [Poll]Gnome 3 would be better with a dock than Gnome-Shell

Warpnow
October 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I think gnome's development would get more attention if it integrated a (purely optional) dock than can replace the bottom panel. Similar (perhaps based off) to Gnome-Do Docky, but with an extreme level of integration.

Advantages to this are:

1. Docks are extremely popular already. We know this from the dozens of dock projects.

2. Docks poorly integrate, leading to a half hearted dock experienced compared to OSX, which is integrated into the desktop environment. Plug-ins can do alot for integration, but true integration from the development go can do alot more.

3. Gnome-Shell is extremely unpopular. Continuing with it given this kind of backlash is abserd.

4. OSX has gained much popularity, and has popularized the dock.

5. Most docks are terrible on resources because they run on top of the Desktop environment. The code could be better optimized if it were bundled together.

OpenGuard
October 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Not another ... :(

jeremyswalker
October 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I strongly agree that a dock would be best. I hate to judge, because I haven't actually tried gnome-shell yet. However, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like anything I care to use. A dock, on the other hand, would be a welcome addition to the Gnome desktop. That's what I do to my installs now, anyway. (Remove bottom panel and install AWN)

-grubby
October 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
A dock that's strongly integrated into a DE would be nice.

hoppipolla
October 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Oo I like this VERY clever :)

I'm not sure what I think they should do but I think adding a dock (or at least adopting an official dock) could be a consideration!

I have always thought of Gnome being more like OSX and KDE being more like Windows, so I think this might be a... viable option! :)

Hoppi!

ikt
October 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
why can I see this happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2U5sp6RWY

FuturePilot
October 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I hate docks.

RiceMonster
October 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I hate docks.

this.

AllRadioisDead
October 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I absolutely hate docks. Integrating a dock is probably the worst thing for gnome. If you want a dock, there are many to choose from, install one, but don't give us one by default.

jeremyswalker
October 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Actually, after further consideration, I don't think there should a dock by default. As much as I like my dock, it's not hard to install. I don't think either should be installed by default (dock or shell).

hoppipolla
October 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I absolutely hate docks. Integrating a dock is probably the worst thing for gnome. If you want a dock, there are many to choose from, install one, but don't give us one by default.

Yeah I'm not big on them either, but I think if the Gnome project encouraged one dock to grow and optionally integrated it nicely with the desktop, it might be a good thing :)

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I think a dock would be very popular with people who are not yet using linux. I would never suggest the dock be mandatory, but...when you think about it, a dock is not that different from a panel. It looks different, but provides similar functionality. I believe the reason some people hate them (including me, until I tried gnome-do docky) is because of poor implementation.

RichardLinx
October 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm not big on docks. It would be a nice option to have but it's not something I would like to have as default. If a dock was to become integrated we would have mac fanboys on our back and people switching from OSX wondering why they can't run certain mac software. (It's just something I think would probably happen).

Before we know it people will be saying "Why not just integrate the mac theme for GNOME into Ubuntu?"

I voted "both" in the poll. Choice is nice, and GNOME 3 is still under heavy development, but obviously no one cares because you've all (most of you) judged GNOME 3 on it's beta UI.

Rogue dog
October 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Gnome docks are not stable AWN, Cairo and Gnome-don't are all not finished or ready for the masses.

Realistically for Gnome to have just one solid dock that is genuinely integrated would for sure please many.

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm not big on docks. It would be a nice option to have but it's not something I would like to have as default. If a dock was to become integrated we would have mac fanboys on our back and people switching from OSX wondering why they can't run certain mac software. (It's just something I think would probably happen).

Before we know it people will be saying "Why not just integrate the mac theme for GNOME into Ubuntu?"

I voted "both" in the poll. Choice is nice, and GNOME 3 is still under heavy development, but obviously no one cares because you've all (most of you) judged GNOME 3 on it's beta UI.

To be fair, I've not judged it on its beta ui. I've judged it on the concept behind that ui. Had they explained it to me in detail, or given me a perfect working version, I'd still hate it, because I dislike the idea.

GeoPirate
October 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
most people whining about gnome shell havn't actually tried it, pretty sad. But it's more of a replacement for compiz for the uninformed. If you have a dock and compiz you should check and see what's taking up more resources, and then their choice would make more sense to you.

hoppipolla
October 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
most people whining about gnome shell havn't actually tried it, pretty sad. But it's more of a replacement for compiz for the uninformed. If you have a dock and compiz you should check and see what's taking up more resources, and then their choice would make more sense to you.

That's not really true, I think most people talking about it HAVE tried it, but of course only the latest development releases.

I do agree with Warpnow though that this UI concept is all we have to work with - people are bound to have opinions on it however positive or negative..

issih
October 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
A dock properly integrated with the desktop management would be worth making as it would be a better dock than what we have now.

Whether it is default or not would be a matter for each distro to decide, that's what distros basically are...a set of defaults.

I do, however, agree with the opinion that the amount of hatred being poured onto a beta project that is aiming to introduce new ideas about desktop usage is rather pathetic and counter productive.

They are experimenting, once its done, it might be fantastic or it might be awful, but can people stop writing it off ahead of time just because it is different, different is GOOD, it leads to new things

Paqman
October 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I use AWN and love it, but if the Gnome devs want to go for it with Gnome Shell then I say good on them. It lookd like a really interesting project. I'll certainly try it out. And if I don't like it, I won't use it.

The great thing about desktop Linux is how incredibly customisable it is. So getting upset about one particular way to set up your desktop is a bit silly.

Vostrocity
October 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I can't really decide. On one hand, docks are really cool and it would be amazing if Gnome could have one integrated. On the other hand, I've disliked every dock I've tried on Linux and Windows. They are really difficult to use for me being that the icons move around all the time as they are center aligned and I can never click on the right thing. I'll admit I haven't tried the OS X dock, which is considered the king of docks, so maybe not all docks are bad.

gashcr
October 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Actually I find docky far better than OSX bar... used both severaly, and find gnome-do's plugins winners against any other dock. I voted both, cause I find shell a good idea, It's different, clean and un-intrusive. Integration of Do and Docky in the gnome project would be fantastic, add zeitgeist and you have one of the smartest combinations in searching and launching in ages. Something different and cool enough to really show-off FOSS potential