PDA

View Full Version : General Linux Installation Help Needed

Ewanuk
October 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hi there,

I am completely new to linux (raised on Microsoft/Mac) and am slowly getting used to the nuances of it.

Right now I'm installing Bugzilla on our Linux server and trying to follow the installation instructions.

At the moment, I'm at the stage where I have to install a set of perl modules. However, this system is very mission critical (read: not backed up with a lot of sensitive stuff on it) and I cannot risk changing any databases or changing configurations such that some of our services don't work.

If I run commands such as:

/user/bin/perl install-module.pl CGI
or
/user/bin/perl install-module.pl DBD::mysql

this is generally the same as installing a plug-in or additional libraries on an existing application (using a windows-based platform as a comparison) right?

I know I come off as the paranoid computer user, so be forgiving :P I just cant afford to **** up.

thanks!

ConXtionS
October 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Bro

if you look down the page a lil when you first come in, there is a section that the server guru's hang out in.

I would make a post in that section as well. Not becuase these guys here are not smart, they are, but you seem to have some really specific questions that might be better served by those bright server guys.

BTW.... I am just like you... I would be afraid to mess it up too...

Welcome to linux bro

Jim

Ewanuk
October 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the advice