PDA

View Full Version : what type of TV you have?

sudoer541
October 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Digital or the old analog?

PS: I have a Panasonic analog tube TV.

diesch
October 13th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I don't have a TV.

|Mitch|
October 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have two in my room:

Vizio 37" 1080 LCD

Samsung 40" 1080 LCD

lisati
October 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
My TV is a widescreen analog one from Sony (not sure but somewhere round about 29-inch size), possibly one of the last models with a CRT sold by the particular store I bought it from. I do, however, have a set-top box for some of the digital broadcasts available on UHF in my area.

koshatnik
October 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Small colour portable. Don't watch tv much.

chriskin
October 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
one analog and one digital
down here we have 4 digital channels (free ones i mean) , more will come this summer

sudoer541
October 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have two in my room:

Vizio 37" 1080 LCD

Samsung 40" 1080 LCD

Hey! I want to buy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10122352&catid=23244) a samsung TV as well:). I heard that their quality is very good. For how long do you have your Samsung TV? The most important thing to me on a TV is the screen life to last for many years. I provided a link to best buy Canada, so I am not sure if this link will redirect you to the best buy store on your country. if it shows you something different please let me know. here is the model number that I am buying: LN32B460
right now the price is about $570 CDN so in total the price should be: $570 + $150 *(X) 1.13= $750. BTW the $150 are for extended warranty and the 1.13 is for taxes (GST and PST).

any more info or personal reviews about this particular Samsung model are appreciated!

JillSwift
October 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
TV rots yer brain.

Then you'll never be popular with the zombies.

Redache
October 13th, 2009, 11:42 PM
32" AOC (Rebranded Thompson).

I also have Sky+HD which gives me lovely channels to watch.

I want a new TV though, something in the 42"+ range.

bobbob94
October 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I don't have one at all...

NJC
October 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Someone gave me a free 27" CRT POS - can't recall the brand. I don't watch TV so it's only use for the rarely rented DVD.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
just replaced our Plasma with a LED

sloggerkhan
October 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
How about people who don't own TVs and watch their TV via internet streaming and downloads?
The Internet is my TV.

-grubby
October 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
It's a 31 inch CRT, but we don't have TV service, so it's mostly used to play DVDs

dragos240
October 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Both?

cartman640
October 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
We have both in our house, but I personally use digital through a tv tuner card in my computer. I use it to record and watch a grand total of 30 minutes of tv per week.

The Toxic Mite
October 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Samsung analogue tube TV

The one in my living room is a Philips HD one, I think it's 45" :?

cariboo
October 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Hey! I want to buy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10122352&catid=23244) a samsung TV as well:). I heard that their quality is very good. For how long do you have your Samsung TV? The most important thing to me on a TV is the screen life to last for many years. I provided a link to best buy Canada, so I am not sure if this link will redirect you to the best buy store on your country. if it shows you something different please let me know. here is the model number that I am buying: LN32B460
right now the price is about $570 CDN so in total the price should be: $570 + $150 *(X) 1.13= $750. BTW the $150 are for extended warranty and the 1.13 is for taxes (GST and PST).

any more info or personal reviews about this particular Samsung model are appreciated!

I have a Samsung 32" LCD TV, I'm very happy with the quality, and service. My set broke down about 90 days After I bought it, I called Samsung about it, a new one arrived 5 days later, I put the broken one back in the box and sent it back free of charge.

I wouldn't expect a lifetime of more than 5-7 years. With most of the manufacturing done in China, you get what you pay for.

Don't bother with the extended warranty either, as they are a profit center for the retailer, the salesman will like you, but that's about all.

Here in Canada it is still mandatory that the manufacturers provide a 1 year warrany, if your tv doesn't break down in the first year, you shouldn't have any problems. This is from personal experience as my Dad was in the tv sales and service business for over 35 years.

xuCGC002
October 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I have a pretty standard Emerson tube TV, flat screen. I don't really use it for much other than console gaming.

Warpnow
October 14th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Analog TV that stays hooked up to my desktop via an S-video cable and almost constantly is playing something I downloaded.

oldsoundguy
October 14th, 2009, 12:40 AM
One 42" Sony LCD HDTV projection and a pair 20" Sony analogs (converted to digital)for the bedrooms.

Have over 100 HDTV channels (including pay per view and premium) and entire cable is digital (live in the US)

beercz
October 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
50" plasma - yeah man! Bring it on! Brilliant for watching the footie :-)

I sometimes connect my laptop to it too! So cool!

ticopelp
October 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
TV rots yer brain.

Then you'll never be popular with the zombies.

Leaves more time for trolling threads, apparently.

sudoer541
October 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM
just replaced our Plasma with a LED

Thats expensive!!!
what brand and model you have?

HappyFeet
October 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM
How about people who don't own TVs and watch their TV via internet streaming and downloads?
The Internet is my TV.

Although I have a regular analog TV, I have cable TV hooked up to my computer and do most of my viewing on the pc.

Bachstelze
October 14th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I have only one monitor (24"), who acts as both TV and computer monitor, so digital.

Iiyama PLB2403WS. Awesome monitor.

sudoer541
October 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have a Samsung 32" LCD TV, I'm very happy with the quality, and service. My set broke down about 90 days After I bought it, I called Samsung about it, a new one arrived 5 days later, I put the broken one back in the box and sent it back free of charge.

I wouldn't expect a lifetime of more than 5-7 years. With most of the manufacturing done in China, you get what you pay for.

Don't bother with the extended warranty either, as they are a profit center for the retailer, the salesman will like you, but that's about all.

edit more info: extended warranty = 1 year hardware coverage and 1 year labour?

Here in Canada it is still mandatory that the manufacturers provide a 1 year warrany, if your tv doesn't break down in the first year, you shouldn't have any problems. This is from personal experience as my Dad was in the tv sales and service business for over 35 years.I am not sure, but I heard if you buy something with a credit card and you can double the manufacturer warranty. So if the TV is covered for 90 days, you can extend that to 180 days at no cost to you. Maybe you can extend 1 year to 2 years? Have you or anyone ever tried this ?
lets say for example I take the credit card route towards the extended warranty. If my warranty expires can I renew it again?
To be honest I dont like the extended warranty because its a ripoff, however I have no other choice in case if something happens to my TV lets say after two or three years. Any other cheaper way to repair my future TV if something happens to it?

darrenn
October 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Hey! I want to buy a samsung TV as well. I heard that their quality is very good. For how long do you have your Samsung TV? The most important thing to me on a TV is the screen life to last for many years. I provided a link to best buy Canada, so I am not sure if this link will redirect you to the best buy store on your country. if it shows you something different please let me know. here is the model number that I am buying: LN32B460

You should also checkout Sony's KDL32L5000 32" BRAVIA L5000 Series. You should be able to get it for about the same price if you shop around. With the Can dollar so high a lot of good deals to be found.

JillSwift
October 14th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Leaves more time for trolling threads, apparently.
OMG Did someone troll a thread?

hockeytux
October 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I don't have a TV.

Same here. TV is so 20th century...

wirepuller134
October 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
We have two projectors, and one 42 inch lcd.

cariboo
October 14th, 2009, 03:41 AM
That extra years warranty is an extended warranty just like Best Buy/Future Shop tries to sell you, you just don't pay the fee up front. Like I said in my earlier post, if a tv is going to break down it will usually do it while it is still under warranty.

Just as point of interest, I bought my Samsung just about 2 years ago, the price on it was $998.00, I got it for $798.00 plus taxes but including the recycling fee, now that same size tv is $570.00 if things keep going the way they are, the same size tv should be about $300.00 in two years. :)

Firestem4
October 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
In My room I have an LG 32" digital HD-CRT TV, (1080i).

doas777
October 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM
both

DoktorSeven
October 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Analog.

Also, CRT now and forever, or at least until they get off their butts and make a GOOD replacement for it. LCD and plasma, even the absolute 100% best kinds ever, give me motion sickness because I see horrible lag and motion tearing everywhere. Same with LCD computer monitors. Until they fix that with something else I cannot replace CRT at all.

sudoer541
October 14th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Does anyone in Canada receive digital multicast channels?
multicast mode allows you to have duplicate channels but with different programming. Its something similar to time shifting. I know its available in the US but I am not sure if its available in Canada.

Jesus_Valdez
October 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I had a Samsung LCD 32", the one that's not Full HD.

But I few months back I had to move out of town so now a watch the TV with a USB stick.

I miss my Tele, not for the shows but for the Halo, I miss playing Halo :(

KiwiNZ
October 14th, 2009, 04:08 AM
That extra years warranty is an extended warranty just like Best Buy/Future Shop tries to sell you, you just don't pay the fee up front. Like I said in my earlier post, if a tv is going to break down it will usually do it while it is still under warranty.

Just as point of interest, I bought my Samsung just about 2 years ago, the price on it was $998.00, I got it for $798.00 plus taxes but including the recycling fee, now that same size tv is $570.00 if things keep going the way they are, the same size tv should be about $300.00 in two years. :)

The extended warranties for the most are a waste of money. But the sales staff get commission for them so one cannot blame them for trying.

coldReactive
October 14th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Digital TV.

pwnst*r
October 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I don't have a TV.

cool, thanks for posting.

pwnst*r
October 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I had a Samsung LCD 32", the one that's not Full HD.

But I few months back I had to move out of town so now a watch the TV with a USB stick.

I miss my Tele, not for the shows but for the Halo, I miss playing Halo :(

"full HD"? what's that? it's either HD or it's not.

coldReactive
October 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
"full HD"? what's that? it's either HD or it's not.

From wikipedia...

1080p can be referred to as full HD or full high definition although 1080i is also "Full HD" (1920x1080 pixels). The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels. This creates a frame resolution of 1920×1080, or 2,073,600 pixels in total. The frame rate in hertz can be either implied by the context or specified after the letter p (or i), such as 1080p30, meaning 30 Hz.

doorknob60
October 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM
The one I personally have, is an oldish (~10 years) Sharp 27" TV. Nothing special, but for the size of my room, it's fine, except some PS3 games look like crap on it :P Downstairs we have a 32" Sony 720p LCD though (digital of course). We have digital cable, so the analog-ness of it doesn't matter really.

drawkcab
October 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Went for a long time without one and then finally bought a 37" Samsung. It makes watching movies with the gf a heckuva lot nicer.

sudoer541
October 14th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The one I personally have, is an oldish (~10 years) Sharp 27" TV. Nothing special, but for the size of my room, it's fine, except some PS3 games look like crap on it :P Downstairs we have a 32" Sony 720p LCD though (digital of course). We have digital cable, so the analog-ness of it doesn't matter really.

My Panasonic is almost getting there:). wow this TV has been serving me and my family for about 8 years:P I wish my future Samsung 32" lasts like my Panasonic. btw I see some weird lines on top of my Panasonic CRT TV screen....OMG!!! is it gonna die? :(

sudoer541
October 14th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Went for a long time without one and then finally bought a 37" Samsung. It makes watching movies with the gf a heckuva lot nicer.
what model is that? I might buy it if the price and features are close to the 32" samsung.

pwnst*r
October 14th, 2009, 05:34 AM
From wikipedia...

wikipedia is not the be all end all. 720P is still HD. being "full" is a bit rubbish. HD is HD.

amitabhishek
October 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thats expensive!!!
what brand and model you have?

In India a Samsung 42" LED costs around $2440 add 20% more for Sony Bravia LED.

I have a 21" CRT LG PIP TV and LCD 32" from LG again.

HappinessNow
October 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I don't have a TV.

I don't have one at all...

The Internet is my TV.

I have only one monitor (24"), who acts as both TV and computer monitor, so digital.

Iiyama PLB2403WS. Awesome monitor.

Same here. TV is so 20th century...

Poll is defective, you left off the neither option.

Like the people above I don't own a TV haven't owned a TV for over 15 years, I use my computer/internet as my TV at best.

HULU, CBS, Fancast, YouTube, etc. etc.

gn2
October 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Samsung 32" LCD TV connected to a Humax FoxSat-HDR Freesat 320GB HDD DTR HD Recorder with an RF modulator in a Scart socket feeding CRT TVs in the kitchen and bedroom.

khelben1979
October 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I don't have a TV.

Same here.

xpod
October 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The only room we still have an older analog TV is in our bedroom.The sitting room and children`s rooms all have HD TV`s.

Kobalt
October 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Loewe Connect 37

tadcan
October 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I don't have one.

Why pay a licence fee when I don't use the damn thing.

drawkcab
October 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
what model is that? I might buy it if the price and features are close to the 32" samsung.

I bought this one for about $800 when it came out a few months ago. I think the price has dropped to around $730. I was originally looking at 32" televisions around $500 but it was just too small for my apartment. This one costs a lot more but the upgrade in terms of the extra five inches, picture quality (1080 instead of 720 on the 32"s") and features were worth it I think.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0003672522915_L4.jpg

Model: LN37B530
Step up to the power of Full HD on a 37-inch LCD screen, with Samsung's LN37B530. The amazing 1080p resolution -- the highest available -- with Wide Color Enhancer renders the most crisp vivid tones, in every frame for the most realistic picture quality. Black tones and shadows are strikingly superb, thanks to the 60,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. A fast 6ms response time offers smooth, clear action. A transparent bottom decoration at the lower bezel's edge adds a unique design element. Connecting your DVD, cable or satellite HD box or Blu-ray Disc® player is a snap, with three HDMI inputs. And thanks to SRS TruSurround HD technology, all the HD excitement sounds as incredible as it looks.

oldsoundguy
October 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just an FYI:
Paying for a 1080P in many areas is a true waste of money. Not all cable systems have upgraded, so your hot new set will be running 720i instead. (1080p takes a lot more bandwidth for one .. and the SOURCES for the viewing data have to ALSO provide 1080P. Seeing as how (in the US), many were dragged kicking and screaming to convert to digital, would say that it will be some time before 1080P becomes a universal transmission standard on ALL HD channels.
Same can be said for dish companies .. not all have upgraded their systems.
But if you want to watch a lot of Blue-Ray .. have at it!

afeasfaerw23231233
October 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
How about a digital USB TV tuner with computer?

MoebusNet
October 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Toshiba 19AV600U

It's a 19-inch LCD HD-TV that doubles as a computer monitor. I went for years without a TV, but my wireless connection speed is usually so poor that streaming video on-line is unwatchable.

I've had the TV for about 4 days now; so far no complaints.

HappyFeet
October 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
LCD and plasma, even the absolute 100% best kinds ever, give me motion sickness because I see horrible lag and motion tearing everywhere.

You must have special eyes because I don't notice any blur or tearing. If your eyes are that sensitive, just get one with a high refresh rate. (120hz or higher)

HappyFeet
October 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I don't have one.

Why pay a licence fee when I don't use the damn thing.

You must live in the UK. No such fee in the US.

blur xc
October 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Poll is defective, you left off the neither option.

Like the people above I don't own a TV haven't owned a TV for over 15 years, I use my computer/internet as my TV at best.

HULU, CBS, Fancast, YouTube, etc. etc.

That's got to be great for watching a movie with the family- "Come on kids, lets crowd around the computer and watch a movie together!" or when you want to watch a movie w/ some friends...

But then again, this is a Linux forum with a higher than aver percentage of geeks, so maybe there should be an option - "No, I don't have friends or family and I don't date"

I personally, couldn't stand to watch a movie on the computer, when I can sit on the super comfy couch, feet up, drinking a soda, eating popcorn, etc.. looking at my 50" 1080p plasma while playing a movie on- yeah that's right, a blue ray disk...

BM

Lukios
October 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I dont have one.

Frak
October 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
You must live in the UK. No such fee in the US.
Hate to say it, but I prefer the license method to the payed one.

NoaHall
October 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
American tv sucks. Adverts on every channel? You must get so bored. The bbc is well known as the best broadcasting channel in the world.

NCLI
October 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
42" Amoi 1080P TV.

Pretty much only used for gaming on my PS3.

drawkcab
October 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM
That's got to be great for watching a movie with the family- "Come on kids, lets crowd around the computer and watch a movie together!" or when you want to watch a movie w/ some friends...

But then again, this is a Linux forum with a higher than aver percentage of geeks, so maybe there should be an option - "No, I don't have friends or family and I don't date"

I personally, couldn't stand to watch a movie on the computer, when I can sit on the super comfy couch, feet up, drinking a soda, eating popcorn, etc.. looking at my 50" 1080p plasma while playing a movie on- yeah that's right, a blue ray disk...

BM

Yeah. I got by a long time just watching stuff on my laptop and saving up money, but at some point, if you want to have friends or a date over, then you're going to need a television that is somewhat acceptable to other grown-ups.

powerpleb
October 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I have an analog TV with a digital set top box.

Chronon
October 15th, 2009, 06:29 AM
My USB stick does both analog and digital.

TombKing
October 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Old analog toshiba that gets used for DVDs that the family wants to watch together or the Wii.
Actual TV watching I now do with hulu/crackle/etc or getting a season on DVD from the library.

sudoer541
October 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I decided to buy the samsung 32" on Christmas.
The prices will go down on boxing day.

suitedaces
October 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Main TV - Acoustic Solutions 32" HD. Not the best spec, and one of the cheapest 32" hd models, but I love it.

Also have a 14" portable crt that I'm watching at uni (hopefully bringing 360 and tv up to accommodation next week), and have loaned my 28" crt to dad's friend 'til he gets his fixed/replaced.