PDA

View Full Version : Any thought on Spideroak.

donniezazen
October 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi,

I am planning to buy a 100 GB storage from Spideroak for $5.00. Any opinion in general and Ubuntu specific?

Thanks,
SK

steev182
October 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
$5.00!? That's a bargain, is that per month?

donniezazen
October 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
$5.00!? That's a bargain, is that per month?

Yes, that is only for people with .EDU accounts. How is Ubuntu specific service?

j.bell730
October 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I think Ubuntu One is double the price with only half the space. You'd be better off with this "Spideroak".

nortexoid
October 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I prefer spideroak over ubuntu one, but mostly because it syncs ANY folder on your computer. ubuntu one is like drop box, where it requires throwing files in a special folder for syncing. if you have a pre-existing folder structure this method is quite, well, useless.

michaelzap
October 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I prefer spideroak over ubuntu one, but mostly because it syncs ANY folder on your computer. ubuntu one is like drop box, where it requires throwing files in a special folder for syncing. if you have a pre-existing folder structure this method is quite, well, useless.

Couldn't you just create symbolic links to the pre-existing folders that you want to backup?

nortexoid
October 30th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Couldn't you just create symbolic links to the pre-existing folders that you want to backup?

I just tried that and nothing happened. Also, even if it did work, you don't have the option of excluding subfolders like you can with spideroak.

bilderbuchi
November 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
i use it, and like it. also, it's crossplatform if you have data on other OS's. their attitude towards open source and linux seems to be healthy, too. the interface is nice and quite easy to configure.
also, you get 2GB for free, so can easily test a bit. with each referral both parties get +1GB. mine: (deleted: i'm full)

zozza
December 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
The client is 22MB - why so huge?!

I am sure Mozy was nothing like this.

nobodysbusiness
December 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I've been using Dropbox for a while now. While I like the encryption that SpiderOak does, what I'd really like to see is an open-source "encryption-shim" as a part of their client. They wouldn't have to open-source their whole client. I would just trust them more if there was some open-source layer that allowed multiple encryption programs to be used to encrypt my data before being sent to them.

KrazyPenguin
January 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Ya it is a good client - wouldn't mind some extra space though:

EDITED: LINK REMOVED - MAXED THANKS TO ALL

thanks

oliverjia
May 8th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Thansk for the great info.
Ditched dropbox and has been very happy with spideroak. Currently only have 2gb and I guess you and I wouldn't mind some extra space:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/bf134e80f12862efd7fd6062ba2efd6f

thanks

KiwiNZ
May 8th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Oaks that house spiders are scary, we chase them away and close the door.