PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu netbook daily + chromium daily better than Netbook Remix (for me)

steev182
October 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I've taken today to mess around with my netbook, try a couple of other OSes on it and I think I have found a setup that will work for nicer for me.

Before today, I was happy with UNR 9.10, but I felt that Gnome's panel when maximising windows lets it down, the Netbook interface is still a little clunky and I just wanted to see what all this fuss was about from hoppipolla just recently ;)

I tried Dell/Ubuntu Moblin Remix, but it feels far too immature and unstable for me, also that instability/poor performance just can't be warranted for me whilst its based on 9.04.

The first thing with Kubuntu I noticed, to it's detriment, is the splash screen and logos are quite ugly and not as professional looking as the standard Ubuntu designed artwork. Maybe there could be a rebranding of Kubuntu and Xubuntu to just be Ubuntu - kde and to bring the artwork into line. The next thing I noticed is how poor Konqueror is as a browser, I mean, this thing helped spawn Safari, Google Chrome, and the only decent mobile web browsers around, but it is just really dated looking and doesn't seem to work too well, ie if you type google.com in it complains about it not using a supported protocol. It should just know that you are using http.

Next up, was the package/update manager, this isn't as good at all as Software Center and Update Manager, it wouldn't let me install updates through it because it wasn't run as sudo and it doesn't look all that good so I went with apt-get update/ upgrade and then activated the broadcom drivers needed for my wireless.

Once I added medibuntu repositories and chromium daily and installed Chromium, I found that chromium looks beautiful in kde. in full screen it takes up the entire screen, flash videos are fully displayed.

Anyway, I feel that for a netbook, KDE's interface seems to work better for me, the application switching is better than that of Gnome's and I'm impressed by most aspects of it.

I'm not too sure on Dolphin so far though...