PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] most secure web browser

macabrem
October 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I've been sticking with Firefox because it is perceived to be more secure, but I was wanting a browser a little more lightweight but hopefully just as secure, if not more so.

I was thinking about Epiphany. Any advice?

cb951303
October 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I'm using chromium from PPA and it's pretty good. I don't know about security but so far it's the fastest browser on linux.

Sarmacid
October 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't say either browser is the most secure, but opera is good.

Rob_H
October 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM
There is no universally accepted answer to that question. Any answer is inherently biased because "security" is a broad term, hard to measure, and heavily influenced by how a browser is configured, what web sites you visit, what add-ons are running, etc. So my $0.02 is to choose a browser based on the other attributes that are important to you and learn how to use the security features it provides. Then make sure you keep up to date with patches.

blur xc
October 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know much about internet security- but my IT friend told me that running the noscript addon in FF is like an internet condom. I happen to really like it, in addition, I run add-block plus which makes pages load WAY faster...

Good stuff.

BM

scorp123
October 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
but opera is good. Opera in "kiosk mode". That's as nailed-down as it can get.

http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/

" ... Opera can be run in kiosk mode, which is a mode mainly suited for information stands. Such stands are typically found in libraries, airports, bank offices, or shopping malls. The information stand will run a browser that lets the user browse for the necessary information, but denies access to the computer and browser settings. After a period of inactivity, the browser should reset and return to a specified home page. ... "

rookcifer
October 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Hi
I think chrome is the most secure web browser because these offers tab process separation and sand boxing. So if you want security go for ie8 http://www.neowin.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif
Thanks

Troll much?

(BTW, Chrome is not "sandboxed" on Linux. That is a Windows thing).

jerome1232
October 14th, 2009, 01:24 AM
apparmor profile = sandboxing. I think there is even a generalized profile for firefox availble now.

scorp123
October 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Troll much?

EDIT: Hmmm, that guys postings are gone? OK ... maybe I am wrong and he was trolling. Never mind then.