PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libevent-1.4-2 (>= 1.4.11-stable)

HitmanNumber86
October 13th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04. I've run "apt-get upgrade." I've got Transmission 1.51. I'm trying to download Transmission 1.75. I keep getting the aforementioned error, upon attempting to install the package. Again...

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libevent-1.4-2 (>= 1.4.11-stable)

I've tried installing (with suggestion) libevent-dev, libevent-1.4-2, and libev-libevent-dev, with no luck.

From what I understand, the install package is dependant on the libevent package. Is this correct? Do I have to install the package manually?

Thanks, in advance.

swoody
October 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You may also want to try installing libevent-core and libevent-extra. You can open a terminal, and run:

sudo apt-get install libevent-core-1.4-2 libevent-extra-1.4-2

Then give it another try. Let us know if this works or not :)

HitmanNumber86
October 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
No success.

I couldn't download either libevent-core, or libevent-extra.

HitmanNumber86
October 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
C'mon guys. I'm new to Linux. If Linux can't run simple programs, I have to switch back to Windows. I hated Windows, and I don't want to go back.

mc4man
October 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM
If Linux can't run simple programs, .......
It appears you're trying to install a package built for karmic on jaunty.

While sometimes that can be done easily with no issues, other times it becomes more difficult or a poor idea.

In this case it's one of the latter two, you'd need to track the dependencies to see where that leads, and at this point that's not something I see you doing.

You could install karmic when it releases in a couple of wks. ( the Rc release is in a wk. I believe or find and add a jaunty ppa that has a newer transmission

Here's one for example
https://launchpad.net/~bortis/+archive/ppa

search page for ubuntu ppa's
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=transmission

If you don't know how to use a ppa then ask first, someone can square you up.