PDA

View Full Version : What are your best computer tips?

rock_fredde
October 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
After using computers for a while, we all learn a few tricks to ease our everyday use of computers and technology. Things like finding good programs, keyboard shortcuts and use of certain features etc. What are yours?

http://suweedenjin.wordpress.com/

I decided to try and jot a few of mine down in a blog (theres no ads on it and I dont make money off it in any way- it is simply a channel for sharing tips and tricks on computer use).

HappinessNow
October 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
best computer tips are the four top corners on the tower.

scorp123
October 14th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Don't use Windows. Ever. If Windows is the answer then the question must have been really stupid.

bodyharvester
October 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
even if its a netbook without pointy bits it still hurts when you drop it on your feet, so dont. drop it on other peoples feet instead ;)

make sure all external hard drives are secure and wont fall off your desk losing you hundreds of gigabytes of data leaving you with the 8GB of your netbook for storage

HappinessNow
October 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Don't drop your laptop off a 60 story building onto the crowded sidewalk below.

scorp123
October 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
make sure all external hard drives are secure and wont fall off your desk losing you hundreds of gigabytes of data Happened to me. LOL. 100 GB 2.5" laptop HD .... killed by Isaac Newton.

Gravity sucks. Litterally. :lol:

misfitpierce
October 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Stick with ubuntu and you'll be good in the future... Best tip of them all.

TheLions
October 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Don't fix something that ain't broken!

keplerspeed
October 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
If BIOS wont post - make sure all of the power connections are plugged into the mobo!

murderslastcrow
October 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Software level- use the best set of tools available (in most cases, Linux), and you'll have a more integrated and personalized experience with your computer than you could have otherwise.

On the hardware level- don't throw anything out if you think it could still work. Recycle everything you can, and upgrade current hardware if your needs don't warrant a new machine.

As far as shortcuts go- learn to use them, and learn how many are available. Aside from macros, these are the most useful shortcut to getting meaningful work done.

You use macros a lot in game development, though. A lot of repetitive tasks. XD

amitabhishek
October 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Say no to social networking!!!

gn2
October 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Just because you've done it heaps of times before and it's a really easy job, don't try to fit RAM by feel when the PC is still under the desk, get the PC out and do the job properly on a table.

I did this and got the RAM in upside down frying my new RAM, the motherboard and the CPU.

So tip #1 from me, never ever ever let the magic blue smoke escape.

linux phreak
October 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Clean out the computer case once in a while.

NoaHall
October 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Have you tired turning it off and on again
Are you sure it's plugged in?
Have you installed it?
Are you sure?
Have you rebooted it after installing?
Are you sure your monitor is on?

Korozu
October 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Update your Ubuntu at least once a month.:guitar:

Bölvağur
October 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
middle mouse button

Select text, ctrl+c, select a different text, press middle mouse button (scroll wheel) into a textbox, now ctrl+v.

open nautilus in your home directory and click something (image, song or a text) with the middle mouse button.
Now click and hold down the middle mouse button on the same file and release.

now you have discovered magic

xpod
October 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Dont be afraid to have a go.

alindgr1
October 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Happened to me. LOL. 100 GB 2.5" laptop HD .... killed by Isaac Newton.

Gravity sucks. Litterally. :lol:

I am always dropping stuff, and I had lost a hard drive like this before, along with a cell phone, and other various items. When I got my latest external, I also bought a small pelican case for it. I put extra padding in it so the drive is nice and tight, then drilled a hole in the side for the USB cable. Now, if I drop it, I can then run it over with a car, and it will still be good. It is large, but it still works.

lisati
October 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Some problems can be solved after reading what is on the screen.
Other problems can be solved after figuring out what is NOT on the screen.
Many of the problems that remain can be traced back to a place in between the keyboard and the chair.

Computers are particularly good at what they have been told to do. This does not always match what is required of them.

JillSwift
October 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The three pillars of computing:

Backup.
Backup.
Backup.

Seriously.

You will either backup and one day thank yourself, or you will not backup and one day curse yourself.

bodyharvester
October 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
The three pillars of computing:

Backup.
Backup.
Backup.

Seriously.

You will either backup and one day thank yourself, or you will not backup and one day curse yourself.

i once made three backups, none worked.

always test them before you actually need them, and dont just store backups on external hard drives, store them in the fridge too

rock_fredde
October 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Gee those are some great tips. I especially like those related to gravity.

What about applications and programs? What are your killer apps that gets the job done quicker and smarter than any other? My nr 1 there is google docs rather than a traditional office suite, especially when collaboration is involved. I have already posted that one on the blog.

What methods do you guys use for easy backup and storage or larger files where services like dropbox just doesnt cut it?

Tristam Green
October 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Don't use Windows. Ever. If Windows is the answer then the question must have been really stupid.

Lord, give me strength.

Best computer tip ever? Don't be afraid to open it up. You won't magically hurt the machine by looking at the inside, and *shock* actually vacuuming out the dust. Dust collects heat, and heat kills computers.

Sporkman
October 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Rig up a periodic auto-backup of your working directory - that way, if you accidentally delete something or need to refer to a previous version of a file, you still can.

I have a scheme where backups are done every two hours, and every day. There are two backup directories for each 2hourly & daily backup - call them "0" & "1". Each time a backup is made, the contents in 1 are deleted & the contents in 0 are moved to 1, then the working directory contents are copied to 0. So the data flow is (working)-cp->0->1->gone.

This 0,1 scheme is done for both 2hourly & daily, so at any given time there's 4 copies of my working data from various points in time (namely, <2hrs ago, <4 hrs ago, <1 day ago, <2 days ago). Rigged up with crontab, it's completely automated so you don't even have to think about it. And, if you're ever in a bind & need to refer to the past, the backup copies will be there.

Here are the scripts & crontabs I use (with my username replaced with "user"):

crontab:

# m h dom mon dow command
0 10,12,14,16,18 * * 1-5 /home/user/bin/back_hourly.sh
30 3 * * 1-5 /home/user/bin/back_daily.sh

/home/user/bin/back_hourly.sh:

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /home/backup/back_hr_1
mv /home/backup/back_hr_0 /home/backup/back_hr_1
mkdir /home/backup/back_hr_0
cp -r /home/user /home/backup/back_hr_0

/home/user/bin/back_daily.sh:

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /home/backup/back_dy_1
mv /home/backup/back_dy_0 /home/backup/back_dy_1
mkdir /home/backup/back_dy_0
cp -r /home/user /home/backup/back_dy_0

AlexanderDGreat
October 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
You have to have a REASON why you're using a computer, it can be a time-waster or a money-making machine for a business. Don't stop studying about computers, it will pay off in the future FOR YOU.

betrunkenaffe
October 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
If you smoke, your computer will suffer.

For those that have never cleaned a computer of a smoker after a year or two, make them do it.

uberg
October 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
ALWAYS check, and the re-check, the plug. Physically and metaphorically.

RiceMonster
October 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Best computer tip: use google.

What a surprise! Before I clicked this thread I guessed someone would say "don't use Windows" thinking they're clever in the first 3 or so replies, and I was right. Wait, that wasn't a surprise.

gnuvistawouldbecool
October 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Never recursively force remove files from root.

Also, never write /dev/urandom to your disc that you need.

And, always backup before partitioning.

spupy
October 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

uberg
October 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Spupy, that's such a Microsoft reply. lol. I am so spoiled by Linux that i often forget that can be a valid approach in Ubuntuland too!!

NoaHall
October 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've already said "Have you tried turning it off and on again" ;)

iKonaK
October 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
backup
encrypt
google it

*not necessary in this order

uberg
October 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry for not properly crediting you too NoaHall. :D

NoaHall
October 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Sigh, that always happens. I do something, someone steals my credit. Especially in programming, I make a lovely program, then the person sitting next to me gets the credit, despite the fact I told him/her how to do it.

*kills self*

uberg
October 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
You Dark Roasted types are so dramatic. ;)

spupy
October 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've already said "Have you tried turning it off and on again" ;)

/me apologizes and remembers to use the search function for a thread.

On that note, a tip:
* Use the search function. :D

rock_fredde
October 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe a bit unrelated, I made a new post about the interaction design of my car today: http://suweedenjin.wordpress.com/

ukripper
October 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Try and avoid it when you get home from work.

madhi19
October 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Don't fix something that ain't broken!

Best tip ever! If you got Ubuntu jaunty* running smoothly think twice before replacing it with the very latest Alpha! I usually wait two months after the final release to upgrade my main machine!

Live CD and live usb stick are your friends they can get you out of most mess!

hessiess
October 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Version control everything and ...

Trust No One.

Exodist
October 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
My best computer tips for anyone:
1) Dont place your beer/soda/water on top of your PC.
2) Dont place your beer/soda/water anywhere near your keyboard.
3) Dont email your former girlfriends from your wifes email account!

Enjoy!

amingv
October 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Also, never write /dev/urandom to your disc that you need.

...or you may end up with all the complete works of Shakespeare? :)

-Thinking comes before doing.
-Making a backup of the config file also comes before doing.
-If you think you have made it work by using hacky methods, look for a second opinion, it may open security holes or eat your data.
-Never run Wine as root
-Save your work as you write it, don't wait until it's finished.
-Unnecessary/unused network services are evil (AKA "Idle hands are the devil's workshop")
-No matter how many times you punch Bin Laden, you won't really get an iPod Nano, or a Netbook, or anything else.
-If the beard of your neighbor is burning, soak yours in water.

go_beep_yourself
March 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Find more cost effective ways of increasing your performance such as RAID. Fix it if it's not broken. You might learn something about how a computer or software works.

go_beep_yourself
March 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
Rig up a periodic auto-backup of your working directory - that way, if you accidentally delete something or need to refer to a previous version of a file, you still can.

I have a scheme where backups are done every two hours, and every day. There are two backup directories for each 2hourly & daily backup - call them "0" & "1". Each time a backup is made, the contents in 1 are deleted & the contents in 0 are moved to 1, then the working directory contents are copied to 0. So the data flow is (working)-cp->0->1->gone.

This 0,1 scheme is done for both 2hourly & daily, so at any given time there's 4 copies of my working data from various points in time (namely, <2hrs ago, <4 hrs ago, <1 day ago, <2 days ago). Rigged up with crontab, it's completely automated so you don't even have to think about it. And, if you're ever in a bind & need to refer to the past, the backup copies will be there.

Here are the scripts & crontabs I use (with my username replaced with "user"):

crontab:

# m h dom mon dow command
0 10,12,14,16,18 * * 1-5 /home/user/bin/back_hourly.sh
30 3 * * 1-5 /home/user/bin/back_daily.sh
/home/user/bin/back_hourly.sh:

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /home/backup/back_hr_1
mv /home/backup/back_hr_0 /home/backup/back_hr_1
mkdir /home/backup/back_hr_0
cp -r /home/user /home/backup/back_hr_0
/home/user/bin/back_daily.sh:

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /home/backup/back_dy_1
mv /home/backup/back_dy_0 /home/backup/back_dy_1
mkdir /home/backup/back_dy_0
cp -r /home/user /home/backup/back_dy_0

You should really invest some time into learning rsync.

go_beep_yourself
March 3rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Upgrade your PSU before pushing your new beast video card to the limit. I am lucky I didn't zap my computer for good when I anxiously put in an nvidia 8800 around the time when they were new, and had flares of bright lights coming from my PSU followed by burned electronic smell that spread across half the house. I also set a computer on fire once, but, I don't think it could have been avoided. I didn't know the PSU I was trying on that computer was faulty. Or you can just overclock your computer until it burns up for an excuse to get a better one :popcorn:

go_beep_yourself
March 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
After using computers for a while, we all learn a few tricks to ease our everyday use of computers and technology. Things like finding good programs, keyboard shortcuts and use of certain features etc. What are yours?

Don't forget to flossy your computer daily, and use antibiotics and pesticides to reduce the risk of fungal worm and virus infections.

Overclock your computer to it's max and keep it stored in a freezer to get the most out of it.

mosshorn
March 3rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
If building, your computer will only be as reliable/powerful as the weakest link.

click4851
March 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
go beep and me are thinking the same. Just say no to overclocking, "if yah wanna go faster, go spend some money"

undecim
March 3rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Keep an off-site backup of any files you care about.

Key word in that rule: off-site.

If your house burns to the ground or someone steals all the computers in your house, it doesn't matter how many computers in your house had that data.

A paid backup service is fine, but I would encrypt anything you give them.

The Real Dave
March 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Keep your computer clean, and therefore cold :) Heat kills!

mkvnmtr
March 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Read the instructions+Google. Repeat as required.

alexandari
March 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Don't buy toshiba laptops. It BURNS!!!!!!!!!

chewearn
March 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
1. Don't put the power plug under the table where it could accidentally be kicked (a previous workplace has this situation).

2. Don't throw a tantrum about stupid PC, when it switched off suddenly because of a stray kick (we still joked about the said lame guy on reunions).

Kazade
March 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
1. If you spot a bug, report it*
2. If you've only ever used Windows/Ubuntu, you aren't in a fair position to criticise Ubuntu/Windows
3. Use the right tool for the job
4. Never bin any computer component - you'll always need it the following week!
5. Buy components from companies that support Linux, and preferably release open specs/drivers.
6. When buying a printer, always buy one that allows you to replace single colours rather than the whole colour cartridge (e.g. Epson rather than HP)
7. Don't buy cheap keyboards/mice
8. Always check Ebuyer (UK) before buying hardware anywhere else - it's always worked out cheaper for me.
9. Don't buy from PC World/Currys unless you enjoy being ripped off
10. Use the Optimize Google Firefox extension

*I didn't report a bug once while using xorg-edgers, the result? When it was synced into Karmic Alpha LOADS of people with integrated ATI GPUs couldn't log in. If I'd reported it at the time, the sync would have been put on hold. In my defence, I thought I'd caused the bug coz I'd been fiddling...

DownTown22
March 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
If you're having computer problems, update first, then ask questions.

If you're running windows, always have a virus scanner and an spyware/malware/etc scanner.

You can't get cheap ****** from random emails.

No, you didn't inherit millions of dollars from some unknown person in Africa/Asia/etc.

No, you didn't win a lottery you didn't purchase a ticket for.

Roasted
March 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
If you have AntiVirus 2010 and it magically appeared on your computer and you're not sure why, google the name. If most of the results come up as "AntiVirus 2010 removal guide", chances are, it's a rogue virus.

whiskeylover
March 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Say no to social networking!!!

Huh? Social networking isn't for everyone, but its not as bad as you think it is. Some websites like LinkedIn have helped people get jobs even.

alexandari
March 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
McAfee is worse than everything.

whiskeylover
March 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, and my computer tip - always encrypt your pr0n. Hiding it in a folder no one will look into (like C:\Windows\System\p) does not always work.

Sporkman
March 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, and my computer tip - always encrypt your pr0n.

Why?

handy
March 3rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Use Clonezilla whenever you need to duplicate (in whatever fashion) partitions or whole disks.

It works with all of the file systems & it is easy to use.

dd failed me & Clonezilla didn't.

Across multiple partitions that included fat32, HFS+, ext3, JFS file system. Which is a pretty good test imho.

After the drive clone, OS X, booted, & so did Arch & all data partitions were accessible & had data integrity.

Clonezilla did a perfect job, which is exactly what was required.

[Edit:] Even though Clonezilla uses dd itself for certain file systems.