PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad for my personal projects?

greyfox1
October 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I have a small Python program that I wrote and I want to have it hosted someplace to show off on my blog/resume. I will be releasing it under the GNU GPL. The program is more or less in final form and is more of a proof of concept than anything (it's a simple but robust database editor). I am planning to start a project on Launchpad, primarily for hosting purposes.

Is this sort of thing frowned upon there? I don't think this will be an ongoing project as much as it will be a bit of code I'm making available. This is my first experience with LP other than reporting bugs, so I want to be sure I'm not abusing anything.

Thanks!

nvteighen
October 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have a small Python program that I wrote and I want to have it hosted someplace to show off on my blog/resume. I will be releasing it under the GNU GPL. The program is more or less in final form and is more of a proof of concept than anything (it's a simple but robust database editor). I am planning to start a project on Launchpad, primarily for hosting purposes.

Is this sort of thing frowned upon there? I don't think this will be an ongoing project as much as it will be a bit of code I'm making available. This is my first experience with LP other than reporting bugs, so I want to be sure I'm not abusing anything.

Thanks!
Hm... LP doesn't seem to define what a project is. As long as you release it under an open source license, they'll be happy to host your code... And you never know, maybe somebody comes up and thinks your "finished project" is actually far from finished ;)

falconindy
October 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
You may want to look into GitHub.

greyfox1
October 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear the opinion of someone more experienced. I would hate to make a newbie mistake!

falconindy: I have looked a bit into github, LP, and Google Code so far. I was thinking LP just because I already have an account there from a bug report I filed, so I figured I'll just use that.