PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware question

whatifwe
October 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have a HP Deskjet 5440 Printer which I plan to install on the Linux machine. If I were to plug it in to the proper USB port, will this installation occur automatically? If not, what needs to be done?.

Thank You

Robert Adams

otetiani
October 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
It should be recognized. I have used several HP printers including a wireless all-in-one and they have all been recognized automatically.

If not though you should be able to go to System-->administration-->Printing and select new printer.

Post again if this doesn't work

Malta paul
October 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Should work Ok. Check out:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_5440

bedhead75
October 13th, 2009, 04:54 PM
If the printer is a very recent model, you can find HP's up-to-date Linux drivers with instructions here:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

tea for one
October 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have a HP Deskjet 5440 Printer which I plan to install on the Linux machine. If I were to plug it in to the proper USB port, will this installation occur automatically? If not, what needs to be done?.

Thank You

Robert Adams

Good evening

HP printers are generally well supported by Ubuntu and I would also suggest that you install HPLIP Toolbox (available via synaptic) to check ink levels/settings/controls etc.

I have a three year old HP Deskjet 380 (all-in-one) and, so far, I have not encountered any difficulties.

I must admit that I only print infrequently, so I may have just been lucky............?

swoody
October 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with what has been posted here so far. HP printers are known for being well supported in Linux. Typically, you shouldn't encounter any issues with an HP. To install the printer - yes, you should be able to plug it in, and get a notification that the 'New Printer is ready to use'. If you do need to change any settings, the Printer settings should take care of that. As mentioned in the post above, I too use HPLIP Toolbox, and it's a great help for HP printers :)