PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so"

OrangeVixen
October 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I've been having this problem whenever I run any GTK (gtk-1) app:

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libpixmap.so",

Reading the archives, help, and other posts... reinstalling the canberra packages did not help. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any more recent soltion?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

OrangeVixen
October 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Bump, anyone with this problem ever got it fixed?

lebe0024
October 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I am also having this problem and it is annoying. Any gtk app started from the command line produces this error. I don't have canberra installed, nor do I want it installed. But something is trying to initialize it. I removed all my gtk rc files/directories in my home directory, and there's nothing under /etc/gtk*.

lebe0024
October 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
SOLVED. Something along the way set my GTK_MODULES environment variable to include the canberra gtk module. I simply unset this environment variable. It was probably some theme I downloaded and installed. I don't know much about gtk themes.

OrangeVixen
October 26th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Super!!

Almost solved, we need a permanent way to unset it.

Where do I unset the environment GTK_MODULE?

The only bashrc is in $HOME/.bashrc, is there somewhere else I should unset this in Ubuntu 9.04?

wd5gnr
November 28th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Have a look in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules

You can make the file nonreadable (sudo chmod 000 52libcan* ) or edit it to suit.

blueyed
October 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
You might rather want to uninstall the "libcanberra-gtk-module" package instead (which ships this file according to "dpkg -S X11/Xsession.d/52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules").

It's still a workaround though and the real bug is something more like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcanberra/+bug/872172 .