PDA

View Full Version : Gnome had to go...

elpresidente
February 13th, 2006, 12:10 AM
When I did a fresh install of Badger a few months ago on my workstation at home, I decided not to install Fluxbox and try using just Gnome. I liked how everything worked well together, Nautilus, etc... The problem was that it ran way too slow. Way too slow. I found myself not using my Linux box and using Windows (blah) instead. I finally installed Fluxbox and am now enjoying a wonderful Linux experience. I'm not knocking Ubuntu, nor Gnome really. Just relaying my experience. Consider this a vote for Fluxbox.

christhemonkey
February 13th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Yes, i too ditched Gnome in favour of a lighter alternative :)
Anyone else using AEWM?

dada1958
February 13th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I'll stick to Gnome with my Compaq Deskpro EN PIII @ 1 GHz, with only 256 MB on RAM it works surprisingly well, playing with TeXMaker and TeXLive and enjoying the second Opera 9 preview.
The 1999 Celeron @ 333 MHz minitower clone with the same amount on RAM at my workplace is too obsolete for even Xfce, starving for that Linux experience so I'll xheck this when I'm there again tomorrow...

elpresidente
February 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
This is on a P4 2.0Ghz with 512Mb. I almost have to beleive that there was something going on that I couldn't pinpoint. It seemed that if I even tried to run multiple applications is would slow way down - take up to a minute to even open a terminal. I'm sitting here looking at Fluxbox with Firefox, Bluefish, Amarok, Gaim, gentoo, gftp, streamtuner, SoundJuicer, xchat, and some eterms scattered about the workspaces and the system remains quite responsive.

I wonder if anyone else has dealt with such an issue.

djheadley
February 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I'm running a 400mhz Celeron Mendicino with 256mb RAM and although I don't usually have more than 5 windows open at a time, I use Gnome with more speed than when I boot into Win.

djheadley

bluevoodoo1
February 13th, 2006, 01:13 AM
This is on a P4 2.0Ghz with 512Mb. I almost have to beleive that there was something going on that I couldn't pinpoint. It seemed that if I even tried to run multiple applications is would slow way down - take up to a minute to even open a terminal. I'm sitting here looking at Fluxbox with Firefox, Bluefish, Amarok, Gaim, gentoo, gftp, streamtuner, SoundJuicer, xchat, and some eterms scattered about the workspaces and the system remains quite responsive.

I agree. I have a similar system, P4 2.4, 1 gig ram,running Blackbox w-m and have had even more apps open and is still incredibly responsive!

elpresidente
February 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I agree. I have a similar system, P4 2.4, 1 gig ram,running Blackbox w-m and have had even more apps open and is still incredibly responsive!

In a way, I'm glad for the trouble. I have missed Fluxbox. I think it may be the perfect wm/ui for me.:cool:

bluevoodoo1
February 13th, 2006, 03:51 AM
In a way, I'm glad for the trouble. I have missed Fluxbox. I think it may be the perfect wm/ui for me.:cool:

Exactly! I feel the same about Blackbox!

elpresidente
February 13th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Exactly! I feel the same about Blackbox!

I just wish it had true transparency. Have you tried enlightenment? I really like that. It's even faster than Flux or BB I think. Could possibly be THE wm for performance and eyecandy somewhere down the road.

bluevoodoo1
February 14th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I just wish it had true transparency. Have you tried enlightenment? I really like that. It's even faster than Flux or BB I think. Could possibly be THE wm for performance and eyecandy somewhere down the road.

I've tried e16 and wasn't really impressed. In fact I thought the default theme (and some available with synaptic) were REALLY ugly.

BUT... e17, from what I've seen looks incredible! If it can perform as well as it looks then it might be a keeper. (I haven't tried it out yet though)

Horndog
February 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM

You might find this thread useful:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75281

Elvish Legion
February 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Try XFCE, so far I've found it easier than flux to use (flux confused me really quickly)

TechSonic
February 19th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I couldn't care less for those other managers. Although I have XFCE installed for when I play America's Army and other games that take up a lot of resources. Besides that I'm on gnome and everything is faster then it was on Windows (Thats windows on fresh install) yeesh. I've tried to compaire XFCE and Gnome and didn't find any speed difference. KDE would be the slowers WM I've used so far.