PDA

View Full Version : What is the best computer hardware on the market?

hockey97
October 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Hi, I would like to know what is the best computer hardware on the market.

Like what motherboards are the best to buy if money is not a problem.

I would like to know sources where I can look at reviews on the hardware. I know of pc mag.

Any ideas? I plan in a month or two to build my own pc.

Dark_Stang
October 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Well, what's the best today is not going to be the best in a few weeks. Right now the fastest home machines are running Intel i7's. If you want the absolute fastest you'll be running an Intel i7 with 4 Graphics cards (the new ATI 5800's) and you should expect to drop around 4 grand for the whole setup.

As for parts, newegg and tigerdirect seem to be the most popular.

kixome
October 13th, 2009, 04:36 AM
The new SGI Personal supercomputer would knock the socks off any desktop around at the moment.

Dark_Stang
October 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The new SGI Personal supercomputer would knock the socks off any desktop around at the moment.
That's pretty sweet. Kinda reminds me of the Tesla super computers that nVidia is making. Tesla machines use GPU processing, which what I was getting at. Each ATI Radeon HD 5870 had 1600 Stream Processors. Not sure which is better... more processing power or more memory.

cascade9
October 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Well, what's the best today is not going to be the best in a few weeks. Right now the fastest home machines are running Intel i7's. If you want the absolute fastest you'll be running an Intel i7 with 4 Graphics cards (the new ATI 5800's) and you should expect to drop around 4 grand for the whole setup.

As for parts, newegg and tigerdirect seem to be the most popular.

i7s are fast, but a single i7 vs 2x quad core Xeons or 4x dual core opterons? I think the Xeons/opterons will have more processing power

4x video cards might be possible, but it would be pointless for anyone who is not a major gamer .Even x2 SLI/Crossifre is pointless for anyone who isn't a gamer....I wouldnt even get a top end video card for a normal desktop use.

Mind you, that can start getting very expensive... Even a single 5400 series Xeon costs more than a single i7 975 (current top of the line). Once you put some other go-faster stuff in there, costs can add right up-

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/495-puget-systems-extreme.html

Wow, its.....a blade server. (pretty much) Should have some serious processing power, but the only people who would really notice are people who do network rendering, etc. If your using 3d Studio Max/Maya/et it might be nice, but for anything else, not really.

hockey97
October 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
So far sounds good. How do you keep on top with the latest releases?

I am currently starting up a business. I am going to contact distribution centers.

I know how to put computer parts together. So I can just buy the parts and then assemble it myself.

Is their any big difference between Intel and AMD? I notice microsoft and other big corps usally use intel cpus and not AMD. I am coundering if Intel is the best at making cpus? I have used AMD processors in the past.

I am right now woundering what is the best motherboard out their to buy that is the latest meaning it just came out today or will come out in a month.

I know they always have something new coming out every week or month. Just trying to find out whats the latest I can wait to buy the stuff.
It's strictly for business purposes not like for personal use to play video games. Yet I will want latest graphics stuff because I will be making video games and do other stuff that will be heavy on graphics.