PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] adding ubuntu to dual-boot kanotix/XP machine

ryancw
October 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I have been running kanotix for quite a while, on a dual-boot (grub) PC, alongside WinXP. After a good experience with eeebuntu on my new eeepc, I would like to try installing ubuntu on the desktop. I have an Ubuntu 8.10 DVD.

I have two 500-MB hard drives: sda and sdb

sda is set up as follows:

/dev/sda2 65G 3.6G 58G 6% /
tmpfs 1.5G 12K 1.5G 1% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 84K 10M 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.5G 0 1.5G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3 187G 15G 164G 9% /home
/dev/sda1 120G 9.0G 111G 8% /windows

When the Ubuntu installer partition manager first popped up, I noticed that none of my existing partitions had a mountpoint listed. I created an ext3 partition, called sda4. I set the mountpoint as / My intention was to put Ubuntu in there. I also went and edited some of the existing partitions, to give them mountpoints as listed above. I don't know whey the mountpoints weren't shown at first, and perhaps specifying the mountpoints for them at that time was not the right thing to do. I just didn't want to lose the working Kanotix installation I had--didn't want to make it unbootable.

At any rate, the Ubuntu installer objected to having two partitions with the same mountpoint. So I abandoned the installation for now.

How should I go about installing Ubuntu so that I can choose either Kanotix or Ubuntu at the grub bootloader screen?

Thanks.

--Chris