PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble with keyboard - character ' or " not showing up; have to key twice

nguyen4062
October 13th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hi,

Please offer me some solution once i installed new Ubuntu server/client. Keyboard key ' or " not showing up when i press it once. I have to press it twice for it to show up on screen. How to fix this weird thing, i know that the keyboard is working normal. Does this mean linux did not recognize the key or something wrong with keyboard layout during the installation. Thanks so much:(

prshah
October 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Keyboard key ' or " not showing up when i press it once. I have to press it twice for it to show up on screen.

Check your keyboard layout; you need to set it to US. I have seen this problem when the layout is Arabic <?>, I think, can't exactly remember.

For exact steps, post the version and type of Ubuntu you are using; is it server or client (desktop)?

nguyen4062
October 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi,
I am using Ubuntu server version 8.04.1 LTS. Thanks and tell me the steps to fix this problem. :(

prshah
October 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hi,
I am using Ubuntu server version 8.04.1 LTS. Thanks and tell me the steps to fix this problem. :(

After logging in, give the command
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup and select the correct layout, language, encoding etc from the options available.