PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Opened Windows not filling desktop - gap at top

webheadjunky
October 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi
Running Kubuntu Jaunty KDE 4.3.2
Noticed a new problem yesterday in that for some reason, any new window I open falls a little short of the tp edge of the screen
YetI can resise it manually to fill the screen???
I have attached a screenshot for info
It's almost as if there is an invisible toolbar at the top....
Hope someone can help
Cheers
Raaj

webheadjunky
October 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hell-ohh!!
Any kindly knoweldgeable user out there who has any ideas to help me out here??
Cheers
Raaj

s3a
October 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Click on the square on the top right of the window.

webheadjunky
October 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi there
Clicking on the middle square minimises the window

webheadjunky
October 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for nothing folks! Guess I'll keep on Googling.....Linux fans always say Linux support is great but sadly my experience doesn't reflect that :(

NovaWasp
October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Looks to me like you have a panel with opacity set to 0% and the window is maximised but bumping up against your top panel.

webheadjunky
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hey thanks
But if that was the case, would I not be able to unlock widgets and right click on it??
At present,, right clicking in that area is no different from right clicking elsewhere on the desktop
Cheers
Raaj

Zorael
October 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Curious.

You could try restoring to plasma defaults and see if there's something wrong with the settings, I guess. The files are at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*, and I think they need to be replaced when plasma itself isn't running (as quitting plasma would save the current settings).

Do it manually by closing the plasma-desktop process with ksysguard or kquitapp plasma-desktop, and then delete/rename/move the files elsewhere. Then rerun plasma-desktop via a run box. Or just do the following in a terminal.

$ kquitapp plasma-desktop
$ mkdir ~/plasmabackup
$ mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* ~/plasmabackup
$ plasma-desktop
You should get the same widget setup as you had after installion.

kquitapp is part of kdebase-runtime so you should have it, else just use pkill.

webheadjunky
October 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
HELP!! Just booting into darkness now with only my cairo dock visible:(

webheadjunky
October 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM
OK...managed to overcome my last problem by removing and re-installing plasma-dataengines-addons

Have a new problem now in that add widgets is missing losts of basic widgets like lancelot and picture frame and comics etc

Managed to find some via Adept but not all

Worse still, when I get my desktop looking the way I want it, I reboot back into the standard blue desktop and all my customisations are gone

I have tried deleting the plasmarc and desktoprc files but it made no difference

Any ideas?

Thanks

Raaj

webheadjunky
October 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Ok, fixed this myself after much googling and tinkering about
Cheers
R