PDA

View Full Version : Is Seamonkey Firefox for intermediate users?

ikisham
October 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Firefox is increasingly reducing its preferences options. Nowadays one can't (in Ubuntu's and Windows' versions) even set to block cookies or allow for session only and astonishingly has to fiddle with about:config to change the default 50MB set for cache.

Seamonkey 2.0 RC1 (http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0rc1) is launched (what's new? (http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0/changes#new)) and uses a lot of FF's 3.5 features. It's now compatible with FFox's extensions (Adblock Plus, NoScript, AutoPager etc.), something sometimes viewed as FFox's strongest feature.

I'm using it in Puppy Linux now and has worked perfectly this last half an hour :)

Corfy
October 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the "intermediate users" part, but SeaMonkey takes the code for the now defunct Mozilla Suite and continues it. The Mozilla Suite, which was created when Netscape went open source, was a combination of a web browser, email client, web editor, and chat, but was broken up into separate products, thus becoming Firefox, Thunderbird, and (unofficially) Nvu (which later became Kompozer). Some people didn't like that the project had broken up, so they took the Mozilla Suite code and continued it under the SeaMonkey project. I think they do incorporate code from both Firefox and Thunderbird into the program.

hoppipolla
October 13th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah it makes sense if it has more features and options, as of course they are trying to refine Firefox for general users.

You might be able to find a clever build of Firefox or something that gives you more options, which would probably be a stronger browser than Seamonkey..

Then again, if you like it, use it :)

gradinaruvasile
October 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
AFAIK the code base is the same for Seamonkey 2.0 and Firefox 3.5.3. I use Seamonkey 2.0 from the alpha stage. Had no problems with it whatsoever. It is (at least for me) a lot more stable than Firefox 3.5.3.
Now i finally found the Enigmail (PGP signing/encryption for mail) version 0.97+ that can be installed in Seamonkey 2.0* and moved over my mail from Evolution.

ikisham
October 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Yes its looking very strong now. As Corfy said it's an Internet suite. And has all the strong points FF has.

ricardisimo
December 31st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Is there a deb for 2.0 out there anywhere?

Uncle Spellbinder
January 1st, 2010, 02:24 AM
Is there a deb for 2.0 out there anywhere?

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.0.1 now. I used UbuntuZilla (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Main_Page) to install it.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Doesn't the idea of Mozilla Suite/Seamonkey (integrated browser, HTML editor, email client, and IRC client) sort of stand completely at odds with the Unix philosophy of writing applications that only do one thing, but do them well?

What advantage is there to having all of those things together in one package when you could use separate applications?

Uncle Spellbinder
January 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM
...What advantage is there to having all of those things together in one package when you could use separate applications?
Because they're all together in one package. And it's done extremely well.

nanotube
January 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
I'm using SeaMonkey 2.0.1 now. I used UbuntuZilla (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Main_Page) to install it.

ubuntuzilla now has an apt repository - easier than the previous script method.

nanotube
January 1st, 2010, 06:15 AM
Firefox is increasingly reducing its preferences options. Nowadays one can't (in Ubuntu's and Windows' versions) even set to block cookies or allow for session only and astonishingly has to fiddle with about:config to change the default 50MB set for cache.

that is patently untrue. cookie options are available in edit->preferences->privacy. cache size is available in edit -> preferences -> advanced -> network

(this is in the latest firefox release, currently 3.5.6). So if those are your only reasons, then... i invite you to explore the preferences menus more carefully.

I'm using it in Puppy Linux now and has worked perfectly this last half an hour :)

that said, seamonkey is quite nice, too. :)

northwestuntu
January 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
i guess its cool if you like all those programs.