PDA

View Full Version : libelf.h error while installing a software

vernam
October 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi,
I am trying to install a network simulator "atemu" on my lab machine, but when I run "make", it gives me an error about libelf.h. I have checked from synaptic manager that in my system "libelf1" - 131.4 version is installed.
I have installed the same simulator on my laptop, and it got installed without any trouble. I am not sure why is it so. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
I am using Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 version with 32-bit core duo processor. Following is the error snapshot.

In file included from os.h:59,
from defs.h:61,
from atmega128.c:52:
/usr/include/libelf.h:98: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘off64_t’
/usr/include/libelf.h:160: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘off64_t’
/usr/include/libelf.h:201: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘elf_update’
/usr/include/libelf.h:207: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘elf_getbase’
/usr/include/libelf.h:305: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘off64_t’
/usr/include/libelf.h:317: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘elf_getaroff’
atmega128.c: In function ‘atemu_load_file’:
atmega128.c:801: warning: ignoring return value of ‘getcwd’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[2]: *** [atmega128.o] Error 1

Thanks,
V

lloyd_b
October 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM
It's a little hard to be certain, but I *think* you need the packages "libelfg0" and "libelfg0-dev", rather than "libelf1" and "libelf-dev". I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between the two, but the "...elfg..." packages have a version number that's consistent with the version required by "atemu".

Lloyd B.

vernam
October 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hi lloyd_b,
Thanks for your reply. Problem got resolved.

By the way, have you worked with atemu? I have installed atemu-0.3 version for now. I have source code for atemu-0.4 too but till now I have been unsuccessful in building that. I appreciate help in this regard.

Following is the error snapshot.

$ make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/v/atemu/atemu-0.4'
Making all in .
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/v/atemu/atemu-0.4'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DRUNDIR=\"/usr/local/share/atemu/run\" -DCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/share/atemu/conf\" -DAPPDIR=\"/usr/local/share/atemu/apps\" -DDEVICEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/atemu/devices\" -I/usr/include/libxml2 -g -O2 -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/main.Tpo" \
-c -o main.o `test -f 'main.c' || echo './'`main.c; \
then mv ".deps/main.Tpo" ".deps/main.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/main.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
main.c: In function ‘fork_compress’:
main.c:208: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘execlp’
In function ‘open’,
inlined from ‘fork_compress’ at main.c:174,
inlined from ‘main’ at main.c:964:
/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 arguments
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/v/atemu/atemu-0.4'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/v/atemu/atemu-0.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks,
V

lloyd_b
October 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Not really familiar with "atemu", but it looks like a couple of minor bugs.

First:
main.c:208: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘execlp’can be fixed by adding
#include <unistd.h> at around line 58 of "main.c".

Second:
/usr/include/bits/fcntl2.h:51: error: call to ‘__open_missing_mode’ declared with attribute error: open with O_CREAT in second argument needs 3 argumentsis correct - calling open() with the O_CREAT operation requires that the third parameter ("mode") must be provided. You can clear this error by changing the line
fd = open(fn, O_CREAT | O_WRONLY); at around line 175 of main.c to
fd = open(fn, O_CREAT | O_WRONLY, 0700);Note that I'm not sure if this is the *correct* mode setting for this, but 700 (rwx------) seems reasonable.

Once you make these two changes, you should be able to get it to fully compile (though there are a few warnings along the way).

Lloyd B.

vernam
October 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks again,
It worked and fixed my problem. I appreciate your help. You just made my day :)

Thanks,
V