PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] VM with installed OS

Lewis Smith
October 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Hi,

I have a netbook running Windows XP Home, and am going to partition the HDD and install Jaunty. I would like to be able to run Windows XP Home as a virtual machine. However, all the tutorials for VMs that I know of say to install the VM software, then use it to install the OS to be run as a VM. I don't want to have to reinstall my OEM version of XP, and so I was wondering if there was a way of taking an OS installed on a drive, and running that as a VM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

techstop
October 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I have a netbook running Windows XP Home, and am going to partition the HDD and install Jaunty. I would like to be able to run Windows XP Home as a virtual machine. However, all the tutorials for VMs that I know of say to install the VM software, then use it to install the OS to be run as a VM. I don't want to have to reinstall my OEM version of XP, and so I was wondering if there was a way of taking an OS installed on a drive, and running that as a VM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The information you need is in the sticky in the Virtualization forum;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=973756

ugm6hr
October 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I have a netbook running Windows XP Home

Presumably your netbook is better specced than most; my 1GB RAM would strugle under the weight of a VM.

Lewis Smith
October 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Netbook specs: 1.33 GHz, 1Go RAM (2Go Max), 140Go Internal and 500Go External HDDs, 1366x768.

I'm not sure what that is like relative to most netbooks, but it runs fine, albeit with a lot of lag (graphics only) under Jaunty, and fine overall under XP. I haven't yet connected it to the internet under Jaunty though, so I don't know if there is a display driver for it or something.